1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full format of 232GB external USB HDD in Vista takes ~100MB of space?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by red11, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. red11

red11 Thread Starter

This may well be a dumb question but my google-fu has not been able to solve it so far, so here goes...

I've had a 250GB external USB HDD (Acomdata, real size ~232GB) for quite some time that was used on both a system with XP and a Macbook, which I no longer have. It was originally formatted as FAT32.

I decided that before bringing it "back into commission" for backup purposes, I'd run Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) to do a secure format outside of Windows. Problem is that DBAN doesn't like my laptop (non Mac) and the Linux kernel kept "panicing". Windows didn't recognize the drive after the botched format (I thought it killed the drive, but alas, I just had to go inside disk manager and create the RAW partition)

Vista doesn't like to format drives bigger than 32GB as FAT32, so I did a NTFS format (full, not with "quick" checked) with default cluster size. It worked but I see that there is now 96.8MB of used space and something like 14 files that I can't see (drive, properties). I have hidden files/folders, system folders all set to let me view them, and all I see is a $RECYCLEBIN and a System Volume Information folder. CHKDISK with all options shows no errors in log.

I used Heidi Eraser on both current files and free space and it still left 96.8MB as used.

Is this something to do with the NTFS formatting of the drive, or is there some sort of bigger problem? With indexing turned off, I would have thought it would use ~0MB of space.

Please advise.

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. red11

red11 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.

I noticed it talks about a clean install of Windows, however this an an external USB hard drive without any operating system. Would Vista create that reserved partition regardless?

Thanks!

4. BG-0

BG-0

Yes, it creates the partition to any boot or non-boot drive regardless when you format it using the integrated tool.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice