1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full Recovery Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MsMcInnis, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsMcInnis

MsMcInnis Thread Starter

Hello There

Computer Specs:
    HP dv6000 special ed.
    AMD Turion Processor.
    Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 bit
    Avast 4.7

So, my computer is falling apart. Numerous programs just "stop working" . My inernet connectivity is sporadic at best. I run diagnostics, but the diagnostic framework is unable to diagnose or repair my problems. All of a sudden, I'm unable to get updates for windows because of my firewall settings.

So, I deduced that something was very wrong. Either my computer has gone far too long without updates. Or it has a virus.

The past few days I've been running System Restore repeatedly. And now I'm down to maybe 7 restore points, all consecutive, and all restore my computer to the same dysfunctional state. So, I decided a System Recovery was in order. Now, I began my back up to the D drive, which is the recovery drive. About 70% of the way through, the back up stopped and reported that the drive was full. Now, I have a full drive and no way to back up my computer - until I can get a jump drive that is. Also, for some reason the computer won't recognize my network drive.

I'm worried that I've created a serious problem. The recovery drive remains consistent no matter how many times the computer is restored. How do I create space on the drive? Can you think of any other solutions to my problems or areas to investigate?

:)Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading my thread. :)

Mia

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

By the "recovery drive", do you mean the recovery partition of the main drive on your machine? If so, it is more intended to contain the recovery for the operating system than a backup of your drive. The Windows installation files should be there.

Do you also have recovery media that you made or got with the machine?

It would be far safer, and should have been done anyway since a drive can fail suddenly at any time, if you had backed up everything somewhere other than your main drive. Any backups there will be of no use if the drive fails or if the data or partitions get damaged during the installation process. All would be lost.

If you are thinking of buying a drive, you might consider an external hard drive. Not only would it serve you for this backup, but you could use it in the future to keep backups of things you don't want to lose when the drive fails. Or you could even use it with an imaging application to back up the entire drive, operating system, programs, and files so that you could recover from a disaster or even a failed drive in the few minutes it would take to restore the image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice