1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full Screen Games(WC3, Steam games, etc) always auto minimizes as soon as launched

Discussion in 'Games' started by Newuser12345215, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

This problem has occurred "somewhat"(I don't know when exactly) recently. I used to be able to play full screen games just fine but now (for some reason), everytime I launch a full screen game, it auto minimizes.

When I alt+tab back(or click the game icon on the task bar), it remaximizes the game but quickly gets minimized after a second.

Games play fine while in "windowed" mode(Warcraft 3, etc).. Full screen keeps minimizing.

I use Windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit):

Nvidia GeForce 8300(onboard video card).

I've done scans with Avast, Malware Bytes, and Super Antispyware and they all found nothing.

Three months ago(same system), full screen games played fine however I was on sort of a "full screen" gaming break, so I only recently tried playing full screen games like Warcraft 3 and this is when I encountered the "auto minimizes" problem.

The only major difference(between the time full screen games worked and now) is Avast 5. I upgraded from Avast 4.8 to Avast 5, other than that, there were no other major changes with the computer I am on.

Avast 5 is on Silent/Gaming mode, and I tried disabling all the shields temporarily to see if it would fix the issue but it didn't.

Does anyone have any ideas(or need anymore info that may help)? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I found a solution(though still looking if there is another way to "fix" this issue) - Right click on a program shortcut(or program) > Properties > Compatibility > check the "Disable Desktop Composition"(This disables Windows Aero while the full screen appliance is running).

This fixes the issue, however three months ago(before my long three month full screen video game break), I didn't have to disable Windows Aero.

So I still wonder what changed to cause these full screen games to auto minimize if Windows Theme is set to Aero.

While this solution works, I'd rather not have to disable desktop composition(windows aero) if there is another solution to this problem(because it causes the games to take longer to launch and exit since Windows Aero is usually on).

So anyone have any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice