1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full Sharing Permissions Set But Still Cannot Access PC from Notebook

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dgmtoronto, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgmtoronto

dgmtoronto Thread Starter

Anybody ever had this happen?

I have a couple Desktop PC's and a notebook PC. All run winXP and I have all setup in a workgroup called HOME. From my main desktop PC, I can access my notebook no problem but I can't get to this main desktop PC from the notebook across the network (connected via wireless router access point). I can see the main desktop PC in my network places on my notebook, whenever I try and open it, expand the tree, I get an error:

"xxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

Both PC and notebook have identical accounts on both systems... Name and password both match exactly. I have set the network sharing and security permissions on the c:drive on the desktop PC in question to allow for access and files to be changed by other users on the network.

If I've set the permissions, and the computer appears on the list of network computers in the my network places on the notebook PC, why I am being told that I don't have access permission? I can access my second PC on the network from the notebook PC just fine, add more network places from that PC on the notebook etc.

These same computers were talking to each other just fine, but I recently had to format and do a full restore on the main desktop PC and since then, the above situation has been happening and I can't make the fix myself, so hoping somebody else has a fix for this one...thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you ping the main desktop PC by IP address? By Computer Name?

Have you enabled file and printer sharing on it after the new Windows install?

3. dgmtoronto

Thanks for your reply to my post.

Yes, I can successfully ping the main desktop pc from my notebook by IP.

And yes, I have enabled file sharing on the main c-drive on the main desktop PC by enabling the 'sharing and security' checkbox option for read access and allowing other uses to change files....this is exactly how my setup was prior to the windows re-install but this time I can't get to the desktop from the notebook.

Further input welcomed...and thanks again.

4. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

I have had this problem before. I am not sure if I read everything right, but have you tried this?:

Open up Explorer, then tools> folder options> view> scroll to the bottom and check turn on basic file sharing. With this on it should make sharing easier.

Then you right click something you want to sharing and click share...> make a share name, and check share files with computers on network. Try that out and tell me if it works.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you ping the main desktop PC by Computer Name?

You said you shared the C:\ drive, but you haven't yet convinced me that you have enabled file and printer sharing. :)

On the main desktop PC: Network Connections - right click on your connection - Properties - are 'Client for Microsoft Networks,' 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' installed and checked?

Control Panel - Windows Firewall - Exceptions tab - is 'File and Printer Sharing' checked?

6. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

I have had this problem before, when you enable file and printer sharing, it still doesn't let you access the shared folder. If you have basic sharing turned off you have to do some more advanced stuff to get the folder to share across a network.

7. dgmtoronto

Thanks for your reply...

I'm already doing exactly that actually, which is what makes this problem SO bizarre.

Basic file sharing is enabled. I've right clicked those drives/folders I want to share on my network. I can see the main desktop PC from my notebook in my network places, BUT when I try to add a new network place, the desktop tree will not open/expand, and I get that error message I noted in my original post saying I don't have access privledges.
    These are 2 XP pro machines that were talking to each just fine last week. And BTW, the Desktop can see the notebook just fine...I can add new network places that I want to access on the notebook from the desktop PC and access them no problem.

Score another stable software win for microsoft I guess....

8. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

You could try this:

Go to Control Panel> Network Connections> Right Click your connection> Properties> TCP> Install> Protocols> NWLink.

I had to do that before to get my computers to be able to share files, although now I can do it without that.

Edit: The funny thing is I am trying to test this out, and I am doing this with Vista, and the computers are in the same work group but cannot even see each other hah! Go figure.

9. dgmtoronto

Thanks for the suggestion...did that on both desktop and notebook, still getting the error "you don't have permission/access privileges" message when I try and access Mr. desktop from Mr. notebook.

I still can't see any reasons why this should not work - the hardware is working fine, software settings are exactly as they were before the windows restore on the the desktop....GD frustrating this is!

BTW..you have the kind of system I WANT to get....sounds like a blazer...

Thanks again.

MIP

10. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

OK I wanna go over this from square one. First thing you did was run the Network Setup wizard and made both computers part of the same Workgroup.

You made them both access the internet the same way, through a residential gateway.

You also turned on File and Printer Sharing on both PCs.

After that you went to the Desktop PC and right clicked a drive/folder/file and selected Sharing and Security...

The window popped up and since you have it on simple it said "To protect your computer from unauthorized access, sharing the root of the drive is not recommended

If you understand the risk, but still want the share the drive click here"

You clicked there and selected share this folder on the network; and gave it a name. Then under that you check off allow network users to change my files.

Then it ran the setting up the files to be shared thing.

After that you did pretty much the same on your Notebook.

You can see your Desktop on your Notebook correct? And you can see your Notebook on your Desktop? You can access the Notebook and share files and delete and whatnot.

But from the notebook you can only look at the Workgroup Computers page that says you are on the same network but cannot actually access the files?

11. dgmtoronto

You are very thorough - I really appreciate the time and input on this challenge.

As subject line says and thumbs up below by item suggest, you nailed it...that's exactly what I did in order.

I had this problem a couple times before between mr notebook and my other PC which is running win2000. Again setup was basically the same, and all I did to overcome was double click the PC name on the list of available computers showing on the list in my network places, and a dialog box would come up asking for the user name and password to that PC, which I would enter just that one time and presto, I had the access I needed to that PC from the notebook across the LAN.

That isn't happening this time between the desktop and notebook, both XP pro machines.

Any futher trouble shooting suggestions are welcomed fully as I'm spent on what else to do on this one...

Thanks....
    MIP

(y) :confused: That's right...I cannot access anything....I see the desktop on the list of available computers in the browse for folder dialog box within the add network place process, but when I attempt to open or explore it, I get this error message: "xyz computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access denied" Even though the desktop (c-drive) is correctly set to share itself with others on the network, the notebook is being told I don't have access rights....

12. The Hound

The Hound

When you reinstalled the o/s on the desktop, did you reinstall any a/v or third party firewall software---and reestablish exceptions for your network activities? (My NIS 2007 is funny that way...)

13. dgmtoronto

Thanks for your reply The Hound.

I did install norton a/v 2007 with whatever default settings it uses, but had that installed before the format and re-install of XP pro on the desktop...

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try enabling the Guest account on the Desktop your Notebook can't share with.
    If that doesn't work make a new account on that Desktop with a logon password and see if you can access it when that account is logged on.

15. dgmtoronto

TerryNet - thanks for the reply to my post.

File and printer sharing are enabled within the windows firewall exceptions tab.

Also, 'Client for Microsoft Networks,' 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' are installed and boxes are checked, however I notice that the "properties" tab on the File and Printer Sharing is greyed out. I don't know if that means anything that is relevant to this issue. Can you advise?

And I can successfully ping the desktop pc from the notebook by name as well as IP address.

In the past, when setting up networking file and printer sharing between these machines, I never had to do more than run the home networking wizard, then right click the drive(s) and folders(s) in question, enable the settings in 'sharing and security' and I was sharing successfully between both these machines no problem. This time its one way only (desktop to notebook) and I still can't figure out why. My settings are correct and the hardware is working - don't know what else to troubleshoot on this one so further thoughts are welcomed. Many thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!