1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full tower cases?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nate93, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nate93

nate93 Thread Starter

Why is it that full tower cases have sometimes 10 expansion slots? most motherboards only have about 6 if they are high end.. is it like for a mini server or something?

2. BG-0

BG-0

What do you mean by MBs having about "6"? SATA connectors?
    You can put many other things to the expansion slots that DVD-drives or such.

EDIT: Geeeez, I'm stupid >.<*

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Do you mean the slots in the back for add-on cards?

Some MBs come with extra USB/Firewire/etc connectors that take up one of these open slots with cables that plug into headers on the MB.

Some CPU heatsink fans also come with a fan speed controller knob that needs to be installed in one of these slots in the back.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. :)

4. BG-0

BG-0

Some case fans (e.g. Nanoxia) also have those controllers.

5. nate93

nate93 Thread Starter

6. BG-0

BG-0

7. nate93

nate93 Thread Starter

interesting... do you guys know if those cases with built in watercooling are all they say they are?

8. BG-0

BG-0

Could you specify a little???

9. Compiler

Compiler

Standard ATX is 7 slots... even if a board only has 6, 4 or 3 slots. The board will still fit in the case. And as others have said, those extra slots come in handy for some boards or accessories that USE a back-plane area. Like additional USB ports, Audio, control switches. Most people are not using all the slots anyways and its a non-issue. But if some gamer has a 3-way SLI board + audio card, that alone could eat ALL 7 slots. And then they'd may need 1-2 additional slots for those accessories.

Its possible thare are server/workstation boards that can use upwards of 10 slots... but I doubt that such boards exists. With onboard controllers, and onboard 2~4 NICs, SCSI controllers - there is little need for such huge boards.

Besides... that Thermaltake case is a gamer case. And if you look at the inside view, the bottom drive-bays wouldn't allow a board that actually uses 10 slots anyways.

There is a better and cheapre case I'd recommend: http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1274&ID=1415#Tab2 Its about $250 and it rocks... ;)

10. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

wow, that mozart tx must be more than twice the size of my antec sx830. lol.

I'm more of a Cosmos fan though. Maybe when my daughter's older and stops climbing on top of the computer. :)

11. Compiler

Compiler

Its very light-weight, easy to pick up... easy to work on since its ROOMY. But with all those windows on both sides... you have to spend a lot of work making sure the cables, wires, data cables are routed as nicely as possible. But a lot of places to hide things. Wish I could upload my pictures here directly... from the last one I built. ;)

It can be bought without any windows.

I used to own that Antec case... from 2000~2002. Very very heavy case... very loud too. Great case for that time thou.

12. nate93

nate93 Thread Starter

eh, im not diggin it.. its kinda cool but too expensive.. no water cooling either.. =/ and i was thinking about that case because i'm a gamer and im looking to upgrade my computer

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I think I prefer the Spedo model. Comes in Air cooled or Integrated Liquid Cooled model. Not sure what the prices are though.
    http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/chassis/spedo/

The Armor model looks nice but opening those 'wings' in the front everytime to access the DVD drives can get annoying.

14. Compiler

Compiler

What do you mean "no water cooling"? Only a few cases have built-in water-cooling in which if the unit fails or you want to upgrade, you have to replace the whole case. That thermaltake is a very roomy case. Its designed to hold a water cooling system if wanted. It can hold any ATX PSU. $250 isn't so bad... that other case you listed is a $400.

15. nate93

nate93 Thread Starter

true true.. i kinda want the coolmaster haf case with water cooling, that would be insane.. maybe a little overkill. and are you sure you need to replace the case if your system breaks? i'm pretty sure you can just replace the parts =?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice