Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
VelociRaptor are quite fast, BG-0. The older Raptor drives have been out-paced by 500+GB HDs for some time now. The new 1.5TB drive can sometimes match a VelociRaptor in transfer rate, but not in seak or handling as many files.

I don't know how the data will be structured... I use paritions for OS/basic programs, Games and then Data(Video, audio, etc). If a single 300GB drive is to be used (Again, RAID-0 is not really needed) I'd go with a 80/220 split partition (All games in the 2nd part) - My C: Drive is 25GB, but I don't have Vista. And if a lot of videos or data files needs to be stores - throw in a 1 or 1.5TB drive in for $180~250... where a VelociRaptor abilities will be wasted.

RAID-1, fine, okay... RAID-0 = why bother?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Compiler- first off thanks for all the help, that Antec case is pretty sweet, looks pretty good from all the specs, and I'm sure it has great airflow. I'm still worried about space, but its a full tower so I think it'll be fine.

I checked out that cooler, it seems good. I just read a review that listed the top processor cooling systems. It said that the Sunbeam heatsink/fan was pretty good, but I guess its not.

About the graphics card, the factory OC'd one is 'unlocked' or something, so I hear its better for OCing. But the 1gb ver. of the card seems good enough, and I don't think I will need to OC it.

About the processor, I'm just looking for a quality processor that will last me a while, but wont empty my pockets. I'm sure I can get it to 3 easy (its no jump, but I like saying mine is at 3ghz), and I would try 4 eventually...

Motherboards... I'm looking for something with CrossFire, just in case I want an extra card. Once again like the processor, I don't want it to be outdated in like a week. Looking at their Striker, and Rampage boards, I thought they were pretty good, but I guess its only the high quality boards... Do any Gigabyte boards have Crossfire? I can't find any that say they do. I have my eye on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336 Whats your view?

Whats up with the memory? Its 4gb either way, cept its 2 sticks vs 4 sticks.. wouldn't the 4 sticks run cooler? maybe I need an update..

thanks for maybe agreeing with one thing. those drives are pretty fast, and I want speed and quality.. but SSD's aren't really cost effective for me so I'll stick with the Raptors. Also, isn't there something about changing your RAID configuration that makes it better in some way?

I'll be honest, I just spit up something for the disk drives, not even sure about those. Same issue with the PSU.

And I'll be sure to check out that case, I'm diggin' it. Liquid cooling I hope may be an option but I'll find out.

BG-0, I can spend the money for Raptors, I know a guy.

Compiler, thanks for the second little thing on the drives.

That Antec1200 is about the same size as that Thermaltake... its pretty large. If you want bigger - that Mozart is still one of the best cases I ever worked with. To big for me to use...

- Check out the # of votes on that Artic cooling cooler... 2200+, positive. ;) It competes with $50~$90 coolers, its that good.

- The 1GB card is a bit faster than the 512mb card in HIGH res & AA turned on. 1920x1200 and higher. ATI software allows you to OC Radeon cards out of the box.

- I can get my Q2.4 to 3.0 in no sweat. I should be able to reach 3.4 if I raise the voltage and spend 1-2 hours messing with the timings. But I *DON'T* want to raise the voltage - my CPU has to last me a good long while.

- That ASUS board ($125) wasn't a true cross-fire board, the 2nd 16x slot is more for a physics card than running crossfire. If you put in two 4870 cards in the box, you would have problems. So, the $80 board would have been better. That Gigabyte X48 board will work. But its proven that 1% of those who buy CF/SLi boards to "upgrade in the future", ever actually bother to do so.

- RAM: Besides spending an extra $75 on memory, you kill your upgradability to 8GB... And yes, its better to run with 2 sticks, rather than 4 when possible. There is air space with 2 sticks than 4... Can't get better memory than that.

- RAID-0 was useful about 10 years ago when HD output was about 20MB Per Sec (mbps) - 1.5TB drives and 300Gb Raptors are well over 100mbps. If your loading a game, what may take 20seconds with a single raptor, may take 18~20secs with RAID-0 in REAL LIFE... not benchmarks. Its better to have a VelociRaptor for vista and your programs... a TB drive for your data. If you have your digital photo collection sitting on the HD... well, it really don't take much effort to load a 1000mb photo, eh? Or videos.

Spit up? I've installed 6 Corsair PSUs... they fairly low-cost for high end, and are great.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Yeah, the Mozart is quite outrageous to me. lol, its too big, and straight up ugly. Do you know if the drives sit behind that mesh on the case, or if it just replaces it?

Ill look at that cooler, you speak quite highly of it, it seems pretty awesome lol

Thanks for the recommendations... about the graphics card, what exactly is AA? its Anti-Aliasing right? what is it?

Do you know any good web sites that explain how to overclock? I may need a hand.

And about the board, I most likely will, I would get the 4870X2 (R700), cept money is an issue, also if I don't, I might invest in a TvTuner or something.

I have no interest in getting 8gb of ram, I'm an XP man, I can't switch

Ill take your suggestion on the HDD, I like that idea...

And about the 'spit up' thing, I really don't know what to look for in optical drives, besides fast drives, and what they actually do

thanks again =D

Even though if you don't need 8 GB, don't spend more money for worse option.
Reason 1: in the far future, when you decide to sell this rig, the buyer most propably would fancy a possibility to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB.
Reason 2: It's honestly better to have 2 sticks than 4 sticks.

AA is anti-aliasing, it makes rough edges smoother. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing This doesn't actually make true honor to AA, as it shows how bad AA can be at low settings (just blurred edges)...

So... What was your choice on the motherboard? If you still have chosen one? And graphics card?

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the definition.. and I wasn't so sure about the ram, I thought it could go either way, but i guess not. The motherboard.. I really don't know. I'm looking into a crossfire board... I really just want suggestions from you guys, that would be a big help if you don't mind. And I was always sure I was going to get a Ati 4870, But I wasn't sure which one I would get. It was between the Diamond 4870, 4870x2, 4870 (1gb edition), or FOC/Unlocked 4870... But I've decided on the 4870 w/ 1gb. What are your system specs? Got any more suggestions for me?

Thanks a ton

If you want to go a little cheaper than the x48 board you linked (it's very good, but pricey) check this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128351
It doesn't come with full speed CF, but still, 16x and 8x could just do the job, if you even ever go for CF.

Anyways, go for the 1 GB version, cuz you got money, otherwise I would recommend getting the cheapest 4870 512 MB version, or maybe 4850 crossfire... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770 2 of these isn't much. And they perform better than the 4870, at least 512 MB version... Didn't find many test results on the subject...

As long as the quality of the product is there and no defects - the performance difference between a P35, P45 and X48 boards is nominal. Now, if you're trying to do EXTREME OverClockings - that is why geeks spend $300~400 on a board, rather than $80~150 - then you'll see some performance increases... but as stated at the beginning of this topic. You can either build a well-budgeted gaming rig, or build a benchmarking computer.

P35 vs. X48
100fps vs. 101fps = No overclock

130fps vs. 135fps = overclock Wow... $200~300 extra for about 1~5% increase.

The thing why I linked those boards is that they have dual(did one have more than 2? (I'm not talkin about skull-thingy)) full-speed PCI-E 16x slots...

Sheesh. I thought it had full speed 16x slots. (as most of the ones with 8x speed xfire happen to provide that info...)

Well. Yeah. Checked the biostar site just to be sure.

Sorry for messing around :( I suck.

It has nothing to do with Biostart. But the abilities (or limitations) of the chipset.

An AMD board for AMD CPU can handle 2x2 PCIe 8x slots for under $100. $125 and up for 2x PCI 16x and that is with PCIe 2.0! Also support for 16GB of RAM, while intel chipsets max out at 8gb.

Yeah. But it's AMD. And they don't have support for Intel C2D Q6600, lol. :D Let's do some heavy modding and we're fine ;)

They used too... The ATI chipset was working pretty good on intel cpus. I think a little wire and patience... it might just work. With 940 pins, theres plenty left for the intel's 775 pins! yeah!

Hey! That way you would get better cooling, as you could have an external CPU mount/box. You could just freeze your CPU that way. Wow.. Wiring, patience and a little experimenting...
But what to do with the extra pins... Hmm.. Add a few splits and you have 240 extra pins, and ta dah! You have a slot for extra cache! :)

I assume Compiler's anti-Asus view doesn't reach to that board? I trust his view on Asus, but that just seems like a extreme choice for a high range Intel board...

Yeah, not his view, but distributed for example by him. Still, it's the exceptions that make a rule. ;)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.