1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Full Windows XP Clean?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AmerikanMetz, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AmerikanMetz

AmerikanMetz Thread Starter

Because I have been having space issues, and modem issues, is there some utility that can basically wipe everything on my HD and configurations (installed programs) that isn't Windows XP Pro?

Basically, I had Windows XP Pro pre installed, and had backup CD's, well my brother that lived here, deleted the system recovery files on the "HP_RECOVERY" partition. :mad:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can remove programs by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
    BUT, unless you have the CD's or the download files they were originally installed with you will not be able to put them back onto the PC.
    Tell us more about your space issues, there may be alternative ways to solve this without losing any programs.

Regarding the Modem this is a different issue, explain your problem with it more and we'll try to help.

3. AmerikanMetz

My dad got the PC from an eviction on the Microsoft Campus apartments, and he attempted to see if it worked for me... with barbaric precision... he hooked up the computer at his work, and was turning it on it's side, and then bumped it into the desk as the computer was booting up. Needless to say, there was damaged caused to the OS.

When I received it, it no longer booted, and failed to load windows. My friend fixed the problem with his Windows XP Pro CD, I guess. I'm really not sure as I just gave him the computer over night.

Anyways, when I got it back, it booted just fine. I had to bypass the administration accounts password the most insufficient way....... the HP has no floppy... I spent four days narrowing down his birthdate... lmao.

Anyways, the computer had TOO much installed, I uninstalled basically everything I wouldn't be using.

But half the programs I really wanted to go, said they were already uninstalled... and asked to remove it from the list. I of course, excited and wanting to move on, did so.

Well apparently somehow these programs are still installed.

I can't find them though. I've deleted a lot of programs that were fortunately in the "My Programs" directory, however, the other 'space' hoggers are no where to be found.

I mean, there are thousands upon thousands of folders and files. All these weird 020302nlabslbf.ms crazy files for their programs I assume. And weird DOS programs that fail to connect to their network ( as it is no longer on the network ) and also fail to be removed.

Basically I have corrupted data, that is not removable by standards procedures.

A new install would be nice, but currently being evicted while trying to make money online as a freelancer put at a job. And needless to say my real job stinks for pay. So I can't afford XP Pro at this time.

That is what brought me to this question........ Long drawn out story...

However, this computer, with some overclocked Intel Celeron (series one) to 392mhz, with 192mb ram on a computer made for windows 95 with Windows XP Pro installed, does not allow me to do my web design, graphics, and programming. :(

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There just isn't a way to delete everything and leave the operating system clean and intact. Windows doesn't work that way. Physically moving a computer, bumping it, or even dropping it do not corrupt data or Windows. It's possible the hard drive was actually damaged.

Without a Windows CD, there aren't any options. Nothing can be reinstalled or repaired. It certainly isn't a powerful system and isn't likely to run XP too swiftly. I wouldn't drop $150 on a Windows license for it.

5. AmerikanMetz

No, my computer is just fine for runny Windows XP.

This computer I'm on now is a spare, and was SUPPOSE to have windows 95 on it, but unexpectedly was overclocked and had windows XP on it.

My real computer with the problems is a HP Pavilion a620n

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice