Full XP install on laptop - drivers missing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NeilR

Hi,

I recently had a hard-drive failure on my Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop. I managed to get all the data off and buy a new hard-drive. However, I couldn't find the original XP disk that came with my laptop, and so I replaced it with an old version of XP Pro that I used for another computer (Dell, I think). All is fine, and the OS is installed. But half the drivers are missing and I can't access the net to download them (the drivers for that seem to be missing too). I'm assuming then that I need the specific Lenovo XP disk in order to install Windows with all these drivers intact?

Any workarounds or advice you can give?

Thanks in advance!

:)

in device manager is there yellow ! or red XS at network adapters.or other.....on some laptops you have to press a key or multiple keysFN+ANOTHER to power it up,sometimes in add/remove it is in the list and needs installing from there,other than that find the exact model and go to there site on another pc ,download drivers to a flash drive or burn to cd,transfer to your machine

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Other Devices

Sound Video And Game Controllers

Advise what's listed in each heading, and make sure to spell them exactly as you see them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This site might be helpful to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
You didn't expand the Network Adapters heading, so I can't tell if a wired adapter or wireless adapter is in the list.

You didn't expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers heading, so I can't tell what type controller/chipset is in that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Double-click these entries to open their properties window, then click the Details tab.

Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus

Ethernet Controller

Network Controller

Video Controller

Look for a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

The 4 characters that follow VEN_ and DEV_ will allow us to identify each device.

Once the devices are identified, obtaining drivers for them will be much easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I just received your second screenshot.

The information in the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers heading didn't help without knowing yet what the display adapter description is.

The information in the Network Adapters heading is what I suspected, based on the fact that "Ethernet Controller" and "Network Controller" are both listed in the Other Devices heading.

--------------------------------------------------------------

NeilR

Double-click these entries to open their properties window, then click the Details tab.

Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus

Ethernet Controller

Network Controller

Video Controller

Look for a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

The 4 characters that follow VEN_ and DEV_ will allow us to identify each device.

Once the devices are identified, obtaining drivers for them will be much easier.
Hi Flavallee,

Assuming this info is still useful:

Audio device on HD... VEN_10EC&DEV_0862
Ethernet VEN_14E4&DEV_1713
Network Controller VEN_8086&DEV_4227
Video Controller VEN_8086&DEV2A03

Thanks very much for your help!

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus: VEN_10EC&DEV_0862

Chip Description: QSpan II PCI-to-Motorola CPU Bridge

Vendor Name: Tundra Semiconductor Corp.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=0862&device_search=Search

Ethernet Controller: VEN_14E4&DEV_1713

Chip Description: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet

Vendor Name: Broadcom Corporation

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=1713&device_search=Search

Network Controller: VEN_8086&DEV_4227

Chip Description: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Vendor Name: Intel Corporation

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=4227&device_search=Search

Video Controller: VEN_8086&DEV_2A03

Chip Description: Intel GM

Vendor Name: Intel Corporation

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=2A03&device_search=Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Here is the XP Pro driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless adapter. Select the .exe file to download and save.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Once you can get a wireless connection working and can get on-line, go to the Intel site here and allow your computer to be checked for Intel driver updates.

Hopefully, the Intel site will detect and display the driver for the Intel GM display adapter so you can download and install it.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
OK, good.

The main thing right now is for you to get an internet connection so you can search for the other drivers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NeilR

Thanks to your help I was able to get up and running and have managed to finally plough through the backlog of work that had built up.

However, drivers aren't my strong point (unless they come with self-installing exes etc) so I couldn't work out how to download and install a few missing ones. Most notably the audio driver (no Skype or music in the office at the moment!), and whichever one is responsible for allowing my laptop to go into standby mode. It currently has two modes - off and on.

Any driver advice on this would be gratefully received! :)

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I did a Google search on "Tundra Semiconductor Corporation" and it brought up the IDT site.

From what I can determine, that computer has IDT High Definition Audio.

Here is a download site for that driver for XP.

The file name is IDTv087.zip and is 21.2 MB in size.

Create an empty folder for it on your desktop, then download and save the file in that folder.

After it's been downloaded and saved, extract its contents into that folder.

Double-click the setup.exe file to start the install process.

The driver version is 5.10.5902.

---------------------------------------------------------------

NeilR

Yeah, I spent a good while googling the Tundra Semiconductor Corp, but didn't find that EXE. But that's probably because I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Anyway, sadly it didn't work, and I get the following error after it's gone through a few stages of installation:

_exiterror: Error=device object not present, restart the system and run setup again.

:-/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online