1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fun Challenge for the experienced Systems Administrator

Discussion in 'Networking' started by phyroxis, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phyroxis

phyroxis Thread Starter

I am a tech guy in a small startup firm. I know the basics of working on computers, troubleshooting networks, and updating software.

We are a market research firm that has no office, so we end up moving 20+ laptops around with us from job site to job site. These laptops need to be updated with windows updates and other programs (web browser updates, java, flash, etc).

I need to setup some sort of remote administration system to manage all of these laptops at once, so I don't have to manually update each one-by-one.

Heres the issue, we don't have a dedicated office, so these laptops are never online in the same place consistently. Networks vary from wired (easier) to wireless (harder).

Fortunately, they are almost always online in the same room on the same wire/wireless setup.

What is the best program suite to do the following:

Remote program/software update for everything from windows updates to java, flash, and individual .exe for specialty programs

Remote desktop (like Windows Remote Desktop) that is invisible, so we can see what the user is doing but they don't know that we're watching (to make sure our respondents aren't doing things they aren't supposed to)

Changing settings like toggling Windows Defender on/off on all machines, changing browser settings

File transfer between computers (from a 'controller' laptop to the others and vice versa)

Additionally, I've tried accessing other laptops using our workgroup (I can get them visible to a workgroup) but I can't get through, it says access denied and that I should ask a systems admin if I have permissions. I am not sure how to create a network/worgroup user profile that will give an administrator laptop (mine) access to each surveyor laptop (each of the 20)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice