1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fundraising idea for tsg

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by hammerbill, Oct 8, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. hammerbill

hammerbill Thread Starter

Could TSG use more money? I had an idea that could possibly raise a little more funds for the group.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From time to time I've seen people post questions to the various forums seeking help from computer nerds (imagine that) and the solution required obtaining a piece of hardware or perhaps software. Occasionally I just happened to have such a widget that they might need to solve their problem laying around my computer room, gathering dust. I have to fight off the urge to give them my ebay name because TSG (wisely) has policies to prevent their forums from becoming filled with advertising and solicitations.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I was thinking that a program could be put in place that people who may be able to donate a part or piece of software to help out a visitor or member could get this thing to the person somehow and that a donation to TSG, perhaps of a suggested value of the item could be informally and voluntarily asked of the person receiving the item, should it solve their problem. I am sure that this goes on to some extent already without such a program in place, probably based on people receiving good advice and then desiring to contribute. Of course the privacy and identities of the persons involved would have to be protected but with a little creative thought, I bet TSG could bring in a bit more money, many unwanted computer parts could be recycled and put to good use once again and more people would leave these forums pleased and happy to have found the solution to their problems.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

We'll see what Mike thinks of it I guess! ;)

3. hammerbill

hammerbill Thread Starter

How about an ebay fundraising auction site for said hardware?

4. deuce

deuce

Hmm...I like this idea. I don't think TSG would actually make a whole lot on it, but I still think it's a good idea. I myself have tons of old, unwanted parts sitting around that people may have use on in the clutch.

I think some sort of TSG donation center would be good, and you can direct the people you find that need to to pick it up there...people donate it to TSG, and the people pay a few bucks for it in return.

5. Big-K

Big-K

That might be a nice way to get rid of old small hd's. or old cd drives, or old software, or old cables, or old motherboards, and all that stuff we have hanging around.

A used computer parts place

6. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Anyone got some parts that they don't need that would be good for a computer to just surf the web on? I need a mobo and everything though :D (y)

7. RandyG

RandyG

and who would verify that the hardware was functional?? who would spend the manpower and shipping to get it from one place to another?

Who would evaluate what hardware qualified for what??

Just my oh so humble opinion . . . more trouble than it's worth.

We've had folks volunteer to send things to others before, but it was informal, and between those members. trying to get Mike involved in the process would make more trouble for Mike, not less.

8. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Yes that it would be, more trouble for Mike.

9. deuce

deuce

hmm...didn't think about the functionality part......

none of it would be worth the trouble

10. Big-K

Big-K

So true. I do have a few modem cards and network cards though sleek. And some fans. The other parts probably wouldnt be worth anything for ya though.

11. deuce

deuce

and when thinking about it...I'm sure there wouldn' t be too many people up for trusting this system out on a limb.....

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice