1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'funny' Hard Drive advertisement/gimmick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i was looking at hard drives today, one name brand company had a funny gimmick( might not be the right word)on the packaging.

It was a 100GB Western digital hard drive, the packaging was for a 100GB hard drive...but thier was a small circular sticker on the front of the package that said something like: 'BONUS..20 GB FREE! INSIDE IS A 120GB HARD DRIVE'.

i got a kick out of that and said i got to post that on tech support tonight!

2. hewee

hewee

So was the price for the added 20 GB really free? I know you have to look alot of times at hardware and software when you see that because you may think your getting the very same thing but your not.
    When it comes to getting rebates you have to watch out even more.
    I like that newer WD Passport 80 GB Hard Drive. It is so small.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=110

3. valis

valis Moderator

sounds like a special where you buy the right shoe and they throw the left in for free.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen that packaging, it's just another gimmick to get your attention. :)

5. hewee

hewee

Yea FREE is gimmick they used when they think we are so dumb that we can not see what the price pre GB means. Even worse is when they up the price and then give you more for free.
    Got to love reading the consumer reports ads on the inside back cover on all the gimmicks they use.

6. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

likely a gimmick to get one's attention........and it worked.

i dont think there was a price mark up for that extra 20GB inside but the price
    was about $90...one can almost find a 180-200GB for the same price on sale.

7. hewee

hewee

Yea for $90 you can get a lot bigger drive.
    You know I always wonder when the cheap price drives started coming out with great prices and rebates to make it even cheaper if they were really new or ones that were return or a some what bad batch of new one that work but did not come out the way they should of.

8. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

ok, that scared me. im getting ready to buy one of those cheap,low priced drives and i had those same thoughts.

i know for a fact,a major company was selling "refurbished" printers at the 'biggest retailer' in the world. the justification was ,the company was getting 'tens of thousands' of returned printers from that 'big retailer' as customers would use the printer including the ink inside, then return the printer for a full cash return.

9. hewee

hewee

Well that is it we can never really know what we are getting it it does not say "refurbished" on it. But my guess on hard drives that they don't get that many back and if you read the find print they all say if your drive needs to be replaced it will be a "refurbished" drive.
    So the good returned drives are used to replace the bad ones that get return under Warranty.

Like on WD drives you have...
    Bare Drives: Desktop and mobile: 3 years. Enterprise: 5 years.
    All external and retail kit drives: 1 year (except WD Raptor®). WD Raptor: 5 years.
    Recertified drives: 90 days.
    http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

Now I know someone that I think had a Maxtor drive that was under the 3 warranty so that was back before they changed it to a 1 year warranty on there drives. Well they are like the rest and if it cost bad they will replace it with a "refurbished" drive.
    Well it like was a week or so before the warranty ran out and the drive went. She had gotten the drive at Costco and went back there. They replaced the drive with a new one that was bigger and can with a rebate. So she got a bigger drive, money back because of a rebate and because it was a new drive the warranty starts all over again.
    Not a bad deal on getting the drive covered under warranty from Costco by replacing it like that.

10. qldit

qldit

G'day Chaps, It will be interesting to have a look at the bulk drive purchases whether they are 120G's In the 100 G carton!
    Qldit.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice