1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

future proof MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sturoc1, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

Hi Gang,
    1st, this is a great site w/ alot of helpful people. I have read a bunch of threads and like what I see. Polite answers for newbies and generally exc knowledge.
    Okay here is my situ:
    putting together an Intel based custom build DAW -( PC for audio recording only.)
    I have been on several forums that deal w/ Audio and get tooo many different responses

What MB would allow me to use say P4 630 3.2 then allow me to go Dual core later? Prefer ASUS.looking for something with built in 1394 firewire.
    Do PCI slots in a pci-ex MB work faster(better) than a pci only MB?

I am on a budget trying to do MB CPU ram for under $500

thanks
    S.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I am going to go in reverse order here.

PCI slots on a PCI express board will still be the same speed, no way around this, if the frequency or bandwidth were widened they would be PCI slots any more.

I would say stick with ASUS, but make damn sure it has an Intel chipset for an Intel CPU.

As far as a board that will let you upgrade to a dual core later, doubt it. Intel changes too many things with each revision of its CPUs, half the time a newer 775 won't work in an old 775 board and vice versa.

I wou;ld strongly reccommend looking into an AMD system. Any good 939 socket board will support a single or dual core CPU, and with the lead AMD has right now for performance especially with its dual core CPUs compared to Intel there is no reason not to go AMD.

Another great choice is to buy a socket 939 Mobo and later you will also have the option of going for a Dual core Opteron CPU, thats right a Workstation/ server CPU fits quite nicely into your 939 mobo.

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

Intel D945PSN

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There really isn't any such thing as a "future proof" MB, because the changes required aren't known at this time! :D However, you can buy a board that suggests it'll support a dual core processor from Intel, or buy one that you know will support the AMD dual core processor, that's what I did. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!