Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy resolution on dell monitor

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Byteman 
#1 ·
I just reformatted my dell computer and then re-installed Windows 98. The resolution on the monitor is lousy and locked at 480x640. I tried downloading a driver for my monitor, but none was available. I then reformatted and installed Windows XP and everything worked great. I want to put Windows 98 back on, but also want to be able to adjust the screen resolution. What do I need to do??? Thanks!

#2 ·
If things look lousy and resolution wont go above 480x, it means the video drivers arent installed, usually. With win98, you can get them from either Dell website, or possibly from the driver CD that came with the computer (browse the CD for win98 video adapter driver). The monitor may need its own "driver" usually an .inf file, get from Dell site, also, for make and model on the monitor. WinXP contains a lot more drivers than win98-
Check what is listed in Device Manager- will show what has been detected and installed for "Display Adapter" and under Monitor. You have to know the exact model, type of video you have, like AGP, and whether it is a card or onboard (integrated) chip to find the right driver. Check at Dell site, or in system paperwork if you have that...should tell you what you have.

#3 ·
The display adapter does have a driver installed and everything looks OK there. There is some problem with the audio card--it does not have a driver installed for it. Could that be part of my problem?

I looked on Dell's site. I downloaded a universal driver for monitors and tried to install it. I got the message that this monitor does not require a driver for it.

Any idea where I might look on the Windows XP disk for what it used to fix this problem?

Thanks!

#4 ·
RE: WinXP cd- wouldnt try that- it probably wont let you for one, and drivers are written for that OS, not 98...

You'd have better luck with this, maybe: Right click empty spot of desktop, select Properties, then Settings, Advanced....do you see a tabbed window, if so, try looking through devices, for Refresh Rate of Monitor> only thing right now I can suggest, except trying to find the latest video apapter driver from Dell- if that is what you did install- either try it again, by changing to the Standard VGA adapter first, and then installing the new version or an older version, if one is available, this sometimes has to be done, if a new driver causes bad effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.