1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FVS318G-VPN - Android and Iphone VPN client

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timothy-k, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timothy-k

timothy-k Thread Starter

Hi, I have a new FVS318G with latest FW, trying to configure FVS318 as VPN server, which to allow VPN client such as Android and Iphone be able to connect to FVS318 from the cloud and establish VPN tunnel.

The manual is so confusing and not helpful (Chapter 5 - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/products/FVS318G/Documentation/RM/FVS318G_RM_27Aug10.pdf), Netgear si using the term so unusual, it calls VPN Gateway and VPN client. Don't know why don't they call VPN server and VPN client.

Anyway I did call Netgear Tech-supp but not much help. According to the Tech, there is not require the username and password for client to connect to Netgear VPN gateway. I am totally lost. I understand that FVS318 does not support PPTP and L2TP so no luck for Windows, but Android and Iphone have support to IPSec VPN.

Very appreciate if someone can shed the light on how to config FVS318 VPN, with username and password (for 2-3 different users username /password credential), VPN policy and Firewall polices if needed for VPN to work.

Thank you very much.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As in the other thread on the older version of this router, there is no provision to add in user level authentication on top of the standard IPSEC tunnel negotiation.

I have never set up an IPSEC connection on either Andriod of iOS. But the standard information to configure any IPSEC device is to set the parameters for IKE phase 1 negotiation (Diffie-Helmen Group and pre-shared key) and phase 2 (DES, 3DES, or AES). Most of the time, there is some sort of smart phone client installed on the phone to work with the VPN server. In this case, Netgear does not have one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice