1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

G-Lock Temp cleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pointegirl, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pointegirl

pointegirl Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a question about g-lock temp. cleaner. I installed it last month and was just wondering which files are safe to delete. I have checked off- .tmp, .old, .DB, .DMP, .bak, .$DB, .CHK. Some of my files say C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, c:\WINDOWS\TEMP, ~CWD SrisikDkpitp, aim.90E1.TMP, C:Windows\aim 95\dkmillm\urlcache. I know not to delete anything that is a Systems File or a Read file. It has 11 megabytes in there right now. I would really like to use this but am not too sure about some of them. I don't want to mess anything up on here. Hope someone knows something about this. Thanks.
    Pointegirl

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

pointegirl
    I do not use G-Lock temp file cleaner since I just manually delete my temp files routinely. Here are some tips. Anything you find in search *.tmp you can select all and delete. Also anything in your C:\Windows\Temp folder or any subfolder dated prior to the current date can be safely deleted. The Windows Temp folder is used by programs for added storage and some programs are sloppy and do not cleanup after themselves. The Temp folder is also used for program installs that require information after restart for configuration.
    Rest of files:
    .bak Backup files......I would leave alone.
    .Chk Recovered Data.....Created when system is shutdown incorrectly. If old you can delete.
    .DB Data Base File?
    .dmp System dump file assume they are log files. Should not be large so I would leave.
    .$DB data base temp files?
    .old Could be any file marked with an .old extension. I would leave those since the space required should be minimal.

The majority of space is usually consumed by the Temp and tmp files which can be removed using the above criteria.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

3. pointegirl

pointegirl Thread Starter

davey7549
    Thanks so much for your quick answer. I will heed your advice and only delete the ones you said. I sure wish you could find some books somewhere telling you all this little stuff that most of us have no clue about.
    I really like to keep my computer free of clutter but you don't want to delete the wrong thing by accident.
    Learning how to use my new CD burner is my next project so I will probably be back soon. Thanks again.

Pointegirl

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Welcome anytime Pointgirl
    Have a good Day!
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice