Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMail inbox question

774 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LJFried 
#1 ·
is there any reason why some of my incoming emails go to BOTH the regular in box as well as into "forums" and "promotions?' It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while. What,exactly, are the "forums" and "promotions" in boxes supposed to be used for? This old Luddite says thank you.

#2 ·
Those are categories that G-Mail has. it's like a way to filter to just 'promotions' type emails, or 'forums' emails and I think G-Mail has an autonomous setting that select those categories to email, however you cannot create your own categories on the top. You can create labels which does the same thing but you would need to create rules too to append the label to the email.

#5 ·
Setting then click on See All settings
gmail.jpg

Under Categories remove the check marks from everything but Primary as shown when you click on the picture I've posted in post #3 above.

You lose the tab (no great loss) and everything goes into one inbox. You then decide what to keep, and what to toss and you don't have repeats.

#12 ·
I don't understand where you "see" these forum emails if you don't have that category selected.

If forums is unchecked then there would be no place to put these emails except in your primary inbox.

Are you syncing gmail from another device? If so, you need to check that that device only has primary selected and nothing else.

#13 ·
No, not synching from another device. When I open up GMail, I see a column on the far left which reads from top to bottom: Inbox, Starred, Snooze, Important, Sent Drafts, Categories, Social, Updates, Forums, Promotions, [lmap]Drafts, More.

When I click on "More", I see: Chats, Scheduled, All Mail, Spam, Trash, Create New Label.

In fact just now when I looked I had an email in my Inbox and the exact same one in my Updates box.

Thank you for your help

#15 ·
Ok, I use gmail in html (called basic) so I don't have to see all that nonsense.
Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

In the slow-loading view everything, which google calls standard I see this
Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Magenta

So go into Settings, All Settings, then select Labels.
Go down to Categories and Hide the things you don't want to see.
Rectangle Font Circle Technology Number

Since I have every category hidden in labels and messages, I don't get what you are getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.