1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

G751jy led backlight problem/mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DonDeKuch, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

The problem is as follows:

I took apart my G751JY down to the last bolt, however when I put it back together the screen was not working. The external monitor works but the LCD screen remains black. Tried holding the power button for 20 - 45 - 60 seconds, does not help. Tried unplugging/plugging in the screen - does not help. Took apart the screen nothing special there. Took apart the laptop again, and on the bottom of the mobo found out that a certain part was fried (see pictures)
    The screen is black/does not show signs of life, however when pointed at with bright light I can pick up details.
    What caused the problem? (my thought) -When taking the laptop apart i disconnected screen prior to disconnecting the battery (since the battery is internal I unhooked the LED screen connector first and only then saw the battery connector - my mistake I know).

The only problem is the LCD backlight, everything else works great - GPU,CPU, RAM, charging etc. Just the backlight does not.
    I need your help to figuring out what kind of part is this and if it is possible to fix it? I know its hard to pick it out from pictures but maybe someone has seen this before. Any ideas will help! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you see anything written on top of the cracked component ?

Try to find another component that looks identical and tell us if there's anything written on it or on the motherboard near it.

3. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Unfortunately, there were no markings on it. And tried to look for similar components but couldn't really find anything similar. Most of components didn't have any markings either. And the are almost no markings on the motherboard as well :mad:

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Anything written on the other side of the board opposite the cracked component ?

5. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Not really, it is just populated by some components as you can see from the solder spots next to the cracked component.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok. The cracked component could be a resistor, capacitor, diode or possibly something else.

Unless you can identify it I think you will have to take it to a shop/tech to get it fixed because getting it wrong could do more damage.

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes it could well be. If that's the only faulty component I can't see how it would remove the power to the LED backlight though, unless it's AC/pulsed and it's a coupling capacitor.

9. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Thanks again for your time, I have been told to check out eevblog to seek help. I'll let you know what i find out. It definitely looks like one of those ceramic capacitors, but I have no idea how it works since I have minimum knowledge in this field.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    eevblog looks like an interesting website, I hope their forum can help you. Please let us know how you get on.

11. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Received couple different opinions from very experienced technicians and they say it is most likely an inductor/choke. This was told by people from different countries and different forums. Thanks again.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That makes sense, a choke is basically just a coil of wire and if it's cracked it won't be letting any current flow through it. If you could find out what value it should be it would be relatively easy to solder a new one on top of the old. You could risk just joining the 2 ends of the cracked one together to see if the screen lights up but there's a chance that could damage other components. This is assuming that 'choke' is the only damaged component now of course.

13. DonDeKuch

DonDeKuch Thread Starter

Yeah, I wouldn't want to take unnecessary risk here :). Especially when everything else works. So currently i am at the state where i am not sure if there is anything else damaged. But I don't really see why it would be, plus I did not see any other damaged components. What else could have been damaged shorted in this case?

Since ASUS does not share its manuals, we found a manual of a different laptop but same size LED screen and the technician found what could this part be (google): HCB1608KV-300T30 . Do you agree? any other ideas?

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I googled that part info and I agree it could be the correct component. There's no way I can be sure though. I mentioned that other components could also be damaged but I don't know how likely that is just that it's possible.

I think you have 2 choices, take a chance on fitting that component or use an external monitor with the laptop.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice