GA-5AX motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stoner

Banned
I used to have a comp with a GA 5AA, which is similar.
That board was often described as one of the better socket7 MBs.
Lots of options in the bios.
If this is a scrounge project, where you are picking up parts for litteraly no cost, you can put together a comp that functions well, but is limited compared to what can be had for just a few dollars at business auctions.

The fastest CPU will be a AMD K6 in the 500mhz range. They don't overclock much.

It would make an ok internet surfing box, an ok office machine, but a poor game box, IMO.

To qualify my remarks about costs......I bought my socket7 comp at auction for $35 about 5 years ago(it failed after several years of usage, probably from the hard drive shorting out and damaging the motherboard) and bought a Dell P3 800 at auction this summer for about $30.
P2 400/450 and P3 500 Dells were going for $10 and $15.
It was a Lexis Nexis auction for clearing out excess/obsolete business machines.
While still old, the P3 is a lot more value for the dollar and a lot quicker.

I'd pass on investing much money on such an outdated machine.

wallshaker1

ok, thanks for your input. how would one tell if the motherboard works? how do you test one?

Stoner

Banned
I only know to test with ram, CPU, hard drive and vid card in place.
There are beep codes as the computer is turned on.
One beep is an ok, several beeps or an error code on the monitor display a problem.

I will have to defer to others with more experience in trouble shooting, in your situation :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online