1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GA-7vaxp support question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Demah, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demah

Demah Thread Starter

I have Gigabyte GA-7vaxp motherboard with a AMD Athlon 2200 Chip in it and everything has been working fine for about 2 months.

Then last night I decided to format my computer and reinstall my OS. After I was all done I had gotten my computer all the way back up and everything reinstalled. I went to windows update and did all my updates and then went to go restart.

My computer would get to the post and then took a long time for it to see the cd rom drive and hard drive. And after it found them it wouldn't boot it would just hang so I restarted again.

And went into bios to change to boot order so hard drive would be first also why I was in there I hit the load optimized defaults and then top performance and then saved and exit

When I went to go reboot the computer now it only goes to a black screen with a flashing _ in the top left hand corner and I cant get past that it wont post or anything I have tried putting the jumper I think is the reset bios on and booting up and then taking it off and still nothing.

When I start it it just goes straight to a black screen no post or anything. Also when I took my hard drive out and put it into another computer of mine it wouldn't boot up its like its toast. if anyone could help me with figuring out what to do next I would really appreciate it.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

It sounds like the drive may in fact be toasted.

If the BIOS sees it correctly, go to the Drive Maker's website and download the diagnostic utilities. If it's a Western Digital drive, you can download "Data Lifeguard" from thier site. run the tests and see if anything fails. it almost sounds like the boot sector or the S.M.A.R.T. is shot.

Also, have you tried changing the data cable and resetting the jumper? might be a simple case of corrosion!

Good Luck!

ST

3. Demah

Demah Thread Starter

The hard drive is not what Im worried about its my motherboard when I turn on the computer it wont go to post nothing but a flashing _ in the left hand corner it will sit like that for a few min and then restart and go right back to the _ flashing!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice