1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GA 7ZX Processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sunny_blue_skies, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunny_blue_skies

sunny_blue_skies Thread Starter

Can somebody give me a reference please?
    My motherboard currently is a Gigabyte GA-7ZX Rev. 5.0, currently running with a AMD Duron Socket A 800MHz. I would like to upgrade the motherboard with a AMD XP 2400+, but does my motherboard support that? I tried to find the info from Gigabyte, but either they don't post that because the board isn't the newest, or I looked in the wrong places.
    Can somebody help?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    according to my research at the Giga-byte website your motherboard will not support that processor. if however you had rev.5.1 it would support up to XP 2100+

3. sunny_blue_skies

Ok, so I can't upgrade that motherboard, now, lucky me, I just got a new AMD Athlon XP 2400+ for Christmas. If I want to upgrade my motherboard which do you suggest? Here is the thing though I want to be able to use my PC 133 SDRam from my GA 7ZX board and I need the same amount of expansion slots etc. I like Gigabyte, so I wouldn't mind staying with that manufacturer.

4. wedor

wedor

MSI makes the KM2M Combo board, uses SDRAM or DDR and up to a 2600+ CPU.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I don't know if youare going to find a new Gigabyte board that will support an XP 2400+ and pc133 ram. You can have a look at the Gigabyte website at www.giga-byte.com I tend to like Gigabyte myself. I have had great service for quite a few years using these boards.

You might look around and see if this board is still available new. It supports what you have.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7ZXC.htm

6. sunny_blue_skies

I checked out the suggested MSI KM2M Combo board, it only has 3 PCI slots though, so thats not going to work for me. The Gigabyte 7ZXC looks alright to me, but as you said, it might be tough to find one.
    Thanks guys.

7. wedor

wedor

Look for the MSI K7Turbo2, that would also work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice