1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GA7IXE4 mobo--alarm keeps going off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sethfp, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

Have a Gigabyte GA7IXE4 motherboard, and don't know what is triggering the mobo alarm. The board uses a Winbond W83782 health chip. Am using win98se.

2. haplo210

haplo210

What is the alarm doing? ie is it short beeps? long beeps? what combos? Different combinations mean different things

3. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

It's 2 tones, high then low, and repeat. It does this when the system is running, not at startup.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That is usually a cpu overheat alarm. Check that your cpu fan is running, clean, not blocked. also how did you apply the thermal interface to the processor when you installed it? not applying any or applying too much will cause this problem. make sure your cpufan connector is firmly attached to the correct place on the motherboard.

5. Cell

Cell

yeah what dusty said! also is it a new computer or a new configuration (like you bought a new processor or anything like that) if so the cpu fan may not be big enough to cool it anymore. but thats only if its a new config. :)

6. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

This is the CPU sensor reading. Anything that puts a load on the system (mostly games) starts the alarm. The alarm really went off when I tried putting in an 8x AGP video card--found out the mobo is 2x AGP, and can't take it.

Attached Files:

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    if you posted your normal operating temp at idle, that is not the best but not too bad. What processor are you using? When I said normally a temp alarm, that is what the Gigabyte boards do when your cpu overheats or you do not have your CPU fan connected.

8. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

Is there a Gigabyte utility that would translate the output of the health chip into actual readings, so I don't have to guess what the alarm means?

9. haplo210

haplo210

The gigabyte easytune utility gives you lotsa stuff for their boards. But those temps are great. I sit at 50c when idle.

10. blokey

blokey

Don't know what the tolerances are exactly, but the voltages look a little off:

5V @ 4.65V
    -12 @ -13.5V (!)
    -5V @ -5.85V

Is your power supply failing or overloaded?

11. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

What voltages should the power supply have?
    How do you know if the power supply is failing or overloaded?

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Check you temps and stuff in Gigabyte bios. Under PC health. It will give you a true temp reading. When you are running your computer and get the alarm srestart and enter bios immediately to check the temps. They will be very close to the correct readings. You can also check you voltages in the bios as well. Also what CPU do you have? And your CPU HSF unit? Are you using the stock HSF that came with an AMD processor?

13. sethfp

sethfp Thread Starter

This is info on the CPU.

Attached Files:

14. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Funny.. I got the same board in a point of sale machine with the same problem.. I finally gave up trying to find the problem, due to lack of time, and disconnected the speaker.. I believe it may have been caused by a faulty sensor reading, or a bad connection with a fan sensor wire..

Since the bios of the motherboard offers a automatic shutdown temp, I just made sure it was enabled, then pulled the case speaker wires off the header.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice