GA7IXE4 mobo--alarm keeps going off?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sethfp

Have a Gigabyte GA7IXE4 motherboard, and don't know what is triggering the mobo alarm. The board uses a Winbond W83782 health chip. Am using win98se.

What is the alarm doing? ie is it short beeps? long beeps? what combos? Different combinations mean different things

sethfp

haplo210 said:
What is the alarm doing? ie is it short beeps? long beeps? what combos? Different combinations mean different things
It's 2 tones, high then low, and repeat. It does this when the system is running, not at startup.

dustyjay

Jay
That is usually a cpu overheat alarm. Check that your cpu fan is running, clean, not blocked. also how did you apply the thermal interface to the processor when you installed it? not applying any or applying too much will cause this problem. make sure your cpufan connector is firmly attached to the correct place on the motherboard.

yeah what dusty said! also is it a new computer or a new configuration (like you bought a new processor or anything like that) if so the cpu fan may not be big enough to cool it anymore. but thats only if its a new config. :)

sethfp

dustyjay said:
That is usually a cpu overheat alarm. Check that your cpu fan is running, clean, not blocked. also how did you apply the thermal interface to the processor when you installed it? not applying any or applying too much will cause this problem. make sure your cpufan connector is firmly attached to the correct place on the motherboard.
This is the CPU sensor reading. Anything that puts a load on the system (mostly games) starts the alarm. The alarm really went off when I tried putting in an 8x AGP video card--found out the mobo is 2x AGP, and can't take it.

Attachments

dustyjay

Jay
if you posted your normal operating temp at idle, that is not the best but not too bad. What processor are you using? When I said normally a temp alarm, that is what the Gigabyte boards do when your cpu overheats or you do not have your CPU fan connected.

sethfp

dustyjay said:
if you posted your normal operating temp at idle, that is not the best but not too bad. What processor are you using? When I said normally a temp alarm, that is what the Gigabyte boards do when your cpu overheats or you do not have your CPU fan connected.
Is there a Gigabyte utility that would translate the output of the health chip into actual readings, so I don't have to guess what the alarm means?

The gigabyte easytune utility gives you lotsa stuff for their boards. But those temps are great. I sit at 50c when idle.

Don't know what the tolerances are exactly, but the voltages look a little off:

5V @ 4.65V
-12 @ -13.5V (!)
-5V @ -5.85V

Is your power supply failing or overloaded?

sethfp

blokey said:
Don't know what the tolerances are exactly, but the voltages look a little off:

5V @ 4.65V
-12 @ -13.5V (!)
-5V @ -5.85V

Is your power supply failing or overloaded?
What voltages should the power supply have?
How do you know if the power supply is failing or overloaded?

dustyjay

Jay
Check you temps and stuff in Gigabyte bios. Under PC health. It will give you a true temp reading. When you are running your computer and get the alarm srestart and enter bios immediately to check the temps. They will be very close to the correct readings. You can also check you voltages in the bios as well. Also what CPU do you have? And your CPU HSF unit? Are you using the stock HSF that came with an AMD processor?

sethfp

dustyjay said:
This is info on the CPU.

Attachments

Funny.. I got the same board in a point of sale machine with the same problem.. I finally gave up trying to find the problem, due to lack of time, and disconnected the speaker.. I believe it may have been caused by a faulty sensor reading, or a bad connection with a fan sensor wire..

Since the bios of the motherboard offers a automatic shutdown temp, I just made sure it was enabled, then pulled the case speaker wires off the header.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online