1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GAAAH!!! MY NETWORK CONNECTIONS IS STILL EMPTY!!! - no internet - ???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wireless problem, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wireless problem

Wireless problem Thread Starter

I've been trying to get a second computer's internet connection back up after mysteriously failing. The "main" computer is behind a Belkin router set up for wireless and wired/Ethernet connections. I suppose I could get an Ethernet connection working, but I don't have the drivers and I don't think there are any working drivers for my GVC F-1156i/R12 network card. Regardless of that, I'm trying to get a wireless connection working

I don't remember the secondary computer ever being able to use an ethernet connection through the Windows partition. The Ethernet does work fine and is what is used in the Linux partition. This secondary computer is a dual-boot of Debian Lenny, formally Etch, and Windows XP Home Edition. The Home Edition previously had a working wireless connection until something screwed it up. After literally three weeks of Googling, I did all that I could but failed. I'm brought here. The _wireless_ drivers are working perfectly. The Device Manager shows 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card #2 as up and running. The Local Area Connection is empty. The new connection wizard didn't help.

ipconfig /all:
    Code:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . .: home-3gj...
          Primary Dns Suffix . : 
          Node Type . . . . . . .: broadcast
          IP Routing Enabled . : Yes
          WINS Proxy Enabled : Yes

Ethernet Adapter {F57131...}

Media state . . . . . . : Media disconnected
          Description . . . . . . . : 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
          Physical Address . . .  : 00-06-F4-0D-...

Reinstalling windows and the drivers brought no avail either. On the contrary, the Linux partition, running on a separate hard drive, runs both wired and wireless without a nudge

:|) My goal is to get a working internet preferable with wireless, and I assume this can be achieved by Adding a Icons in the Local Area Connection and specifying the IP addresses from there

:|) Windows hasn't yet shown the ability to use an Ethernet connection

:|) Windows was running a smooth wireless connection until almost a month ago

:|) The wireless drivers are installed fine

:|) Linux, running on a separate hard-drive runs both wireless and wired perfectly, what a surprise, eh?

I'm willing to continually posting and working until I find a solution. Please help. Please, please help!!

2. N1SMO

N1SMO Banned

Did You Try Google? Maybe Geek Squad Kan Help, MAY BEE ASKJEEVES

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Maybe you should let us try to help them before you send them packing. You might also consider a spelling checker. :rolleyes:

4. JohnWill

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make/model of the broadband modem.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

First off, you don't seem to have any wired networking equipment showing up in the IPCONFIG display. Also, is the wired NIC on the MB or a separate PCI card? What shows up in Device Manager under Network adapters? Are there any devices in Device Manager with a yellow ! or ? displayed?

5. Wireless problem

Thanks for helping me John! Here is some more information:

I am using Comcast as my ISP

The modem I was supplied with is aTM502G

The router, a Belkin (N wireless router) 85D8233-4, supports both wired/Ethernet and wireless connections, both which work router-side

The wireless currently uses WPA encryption, but can be switched to WPE or nothing at all if necessary

The network adapter is a Zonet ZEW2500P connected through a USB port

The computer with issues is a Compaq Presario 6000

The only effected computer is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. The same operating systems are used on the other computers connected to the router

The network card is a GVC F-1156i/R12, but that is for wired ethernet connections which Windows is having an enormous number of problems with, and it is on the MotherBoard connected through a PCI slot if I am correct

In the Device manager, the only device listed under "Network Adapters" is "802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card #2" with no yellow ! or ? marks or any problems.

Finally, there are no error messages and the only symptom I can find is there is no icon in the Network Connections (My Network Places->Properties). When setting a new connection with the Set new connection wizard, I go to "Set up an advanced connection"->"Accept Incoming Connections" and the only two listed are Direct Parellel (LPT1) and SoftV92 Data Fax Modem but nothing to do with wireless connectionsn

6. JohnWill

OK, you're missing the wired NIC, it's probably disabled in the BIOS. I suggest trying to revive that one, since it would be real useful for debugging. It's curious that Linux sees it...

Are you sure there are NO devices anywhere in Device Manager that are in error? When you reloaded Windows, did you load the chipset drivers for the MB?

7. Wireless problem

I double checked and again but the wired problem isn't with the BIOS. The wired problem is definately a missing driver problem. I already tried six drivers but not a single one of those six drivers worked. The working driver for this NIC is almost impossible to find!

Yes, there are no devices in error state. I did notice something strange: I tried using a different USB port of the USB Wireless adapter and Windows notified me with "Found new hardware"

In the meantime, I'll try playing around with the Found new hardware and verify every setting in the BIOS

8. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

It does this when you connect a device to that port for the first time.

9. Wireless problem

By the way,
    , I don't think you read my entire first post. I said I've already spent three weeks Googling. Thanks for at least attempting to help. I also think the Spell Check button is pretty handy, wouldn't you agree?

Nothing wrong is in BIOS. I am more experienced with the UNIX style platform than Windows. I think I have all that I need but somehow need to get a Local Area Connection Icon in the network Connections Folder. How can this be done?

10. JohnWill

It's more than a non-working driver if the device never shows up at all in Device Manager. That's saying that the Windows PnP isn't recognizing that the hardware exists at all. Perhaps that's a clue to what's going on?

11. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Do you have any NIC's laying around? Try popping one is and see if windows recognizes it.

12. Wireless problem

Just for the knowledge, Plug and play is enabled. The Found new Hardware only came up when using a different USB port. Another less important matter, whenever Windows boots a "Found new hardware" with Ethernet Controller comes up. The only missing drivers are for the ethernet/wired connections. The wireless files and drivers and working fine. I don't know if it recognizes it, but it sure knows somethings there with the "Found new hardware" coming up. It only came up once. If it isn't recognizing it, how can I fix this? This may as well be a different problem

13. JohnWill

You can search for new hardware, but I don't know what this will do.

14. Wireless problem

I forgot to post another symptom, and this may be a cause

Whenever I log on an application with a window captioned "Monitor" autostarts. The wireless LAN card is selected and the status remains as "Scanning..." but never stops. In the device manager properties, the wireless LAN card is set as location 0

15. Wireless problem

Okay, forget all my previous problems except for information, device manager results and ip config. I reinstalled to the correct drivers, yes correct, and now I get a Window labeled "Monitor". The status first says Connected to: BSSID 00:00:00:00 and then I get a very quick snapshot of "Something to fast to see; Old_Net_09" Old_Net_09 is a network SSID picked up when using a different wireless computer or booted onto Linux

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/632081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice