1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaining permission

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by garyduel, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Hello anyone who can help i have one of these Linpus Lite V1.0.3.E operating systems and it tells me everytime i try to access certain files permission is denied, "need to be root" or words to those effects....
    I can then go to the terminal and type in root user password and get access to whatever i want BUT NOW WHAT???????????????????????????????
    I have any empty screen with a flashing cursor, SO i try and type in a file path to get to the folder UHH AHH...."No such file or directory"

The people who wrote this Linux system need a large broom handle inserted into certain non-sunshining orifices and told to think like a normal person..
    Is there aniother way to boot up with user permission right from the very start so what ever i try to do is allowed???????????????????????????

Can anyone help
    Does anyone care
    All these questions and more

garyd

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're asking us what you wanted to do with the access? :confused:

It sounds like you are getting user permission. Do you mean you want root permission? If so, run as root. I'm not recommending you do; few people run as root except when they have a need to. Or use Puppy Linux--it defaults to root.

3. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

I can go to the terminal i can type in my password and then have access...
    to a dead blank screen that is awaiting my next command ....not where i want to be ie at the correct file but still in the terminal, where it states with a hash mark# that i am now root.....great, my problem is all i do next is close the terminal which i assume stops me from again being able to act as the admininstrator , and i try to shrink an icon to the size it needs to be and replace it in the correct file and get rid of the old one which is toooooooo BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Permission Denied need to be root"

If you know how to boot up with this bloody annoying Linux OS and be the root user to perform the most simplistic tasks it would be appreciated

I try, as stated before to type in a path name but yet again i foolow the path that is written in the address bar at the top of the folder, go into the terminal now that i am root...and low and behold ..."No file or directory exist"

Now i would swear in type but have agreed to the terms and conditions to this website....

Help me Obiwan....your our only chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know that Linux distribution or how your boot is configured, so I'll tell you some about my Ubuntu and you can see if you have similar options. When I boot there are several options in addition to the normal; one is a "Recovery" mode which immediately puts me in command mode as root. If I'm quick enough after turning on the machine I can hit Esc and see a menu of options--not sure what these are as I haven't looked.

If I boot normally I'm asked for user/password. I could enter "root" instead of my userid.

I do not understand at all about shrinking an icon nor about replacing it in a file.

When I have trouble navigating to where I want to go (when in a Terminal) it's usually because I mis-typed something, so I slow down and go one step at a time. For example, instead of

cd /first/second/third/etc.

I'll simple go

cd /first
    cd second
    cd third

and so on. I assume you know that cd is the Change Directory command, pwd will show you the current directory in case you get lost, and ls or ls -l will show you the contents.

5. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Thanks for those tips on those commands, unfortunately it did not recognise any of them cd/first/etc
    *ls -l* , *pwd* etc

On top of that i now have to open a new thread as everytime i start it up it says #
    "Hal failed to initilize"

So i think i have major problems with this unit

\Here's a tip to any one reading this and thinking of buying an acer DONT
    i contacted the help line its 4 weeks old and they told me basically "Your on your own"

This is a software glitch i would suggest and if thats there advice under warranty then go for something else

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice