1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Game compatibility in WinXP

Discussion in 'Games' started by Guy, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

Okay, I am having lots of problems with running older games on WindowsXP. I have WinXP Pro, AMD Duron 600, 384 MB Ram, Asus v7100 with Video Out (Geforce2 MX 32MB), SBLive Value, Gigabyte Motherboard (VIA Chipset). I am using all the newsest drivers such as SB Live drivers (from windowsupdate) and Nvidia Detonator 23.11.

Now the problem, many of my older games do not work properly under windows xp. They all worked before I upgraded. I have tried using every different compatibility options for the games and none of them work. What happens with the games is this: They start to load up, screen goes black, then i get kicked to windowsXP but the games are still loaded in the taskbar, and in some I can hear the intro music playing. I then click on the game in the taskbar and again the screen refreshes to black, stays like that for about 10 seconds, then i go back to windowsXP with the games still in taskbar... and so the cycle continues.

The following games DO work:
    Red Faction
    Counter-Strike (MOD version)

The following games DO NOT work:
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Metal Gear Solid Demo
    Worms World Party
    NHL 2002
    Madden 2002

Please Help :(

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you updated all your drivers for XP? Sounds like a DirectX issue.

3. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

As stated above, yes. I have gotten all updates at windowsupdate.com and the newest drivers for all my hardware as well.

4. redfrost

redfrost

I run all those games in Xp Pro no probs.
    At the beginning i had major problems though. i had the same video card and the nvidia drivers were messing it up.. when you install the nvidia driver 23.11 does it show that it is digitally signed ..if not there could be your prob...
    roll back the driver to the one xp chooses... that is digsitally signed.... i also had sucess using old nvidia drivers

i have since blown off my geforce 2 mx 400 for a ddr one but once again the driver issue. same thing must be an xp thing

5. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

Thanks alot.

I tried the asus xp beta drivers and they seem to be working. Kinda scared about using beta drivers but they are working fine for now.

I guess updating all your drivers can cause as many problems as they fix.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice