1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

game drivers problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by phenamenon, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phenamenon

phenamenon Thread Starter

hey everyone,few months ago member of this forum were very nice to help me with some problems,so when i have the next one,i'm here again,so i reinstalled my windows again and can't play any better games ,it ends in crashes(restarts pc,physxextension.dll etc) even counter strike 1.6 runs ir horrible resolution and laging,i remembered that one of drivers (vga driver for gaming that was given when i bought pc,and 2 months ago when i reinstalled my windows everything went smooth) instalations ended up with such a messege ;

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so any ideas?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Need a bit more info really.

That message is quite common for drivers that haven't been certified by Microsoft, 99% of the time you just hit 'continue anyway' and everything is fine.

What is the make and model of your PC?
    What graphics card are you using?
    Have you installed and updated ALL the drivers on the machine? (graphics, sound, network, motherboard etc).
    Do you have an up to date version of DirectX installed?
    What version of Windows are you using? (XP, Vista, &) and is it 32 or 64 bit?

I suspect you have either very old, or possibly some missing drivers for some of your hardware, possibly your graphics card.

Go into Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager), are the any items listed there with a yellow exclamation mark (!) next to them?

3. phenamenon

i'm a bit noob when it comes to pc stuff,there are a program,that shows every single info detail about your pc i,didn't remember exact name..and there are yellow marks near ASUS Video3d device;and in sounds video games controller section few marks near unknown devices...

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    OK, so that is the likely cause, it seems you are missing a number of drivers for your hardware, that should be pretty easy to sort out.

This will give us a basic idea of your hardware: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

This will give fairly detailed info about your system: http://www.astra32.com/download.htm

If your PC is a premade machine like a HP, Dell etc. what is the exact make and model? It should say on it somewhere, either on the case or on a sticker.

5. phenamenon

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 50006 MB, Free - 31333 MB; D: Total - 102618 MB, Free - 43215 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M2N-X Plus, Rev x.xx, MS1C7BB9BN00312
    Antivirus: None

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Graphics card drivers here. Put in all the details it asks for (Geforce, Geforce 8 Series, 8600GT, Windows XP and your country then click Search. The version number that it finds should be 266.58. Download and install those drivers, you may need to do this in Safe Mode.

All the drivers for your motherboard here: Select your country then when in the site look at the top right corner and you should see a Search box. Put M2N-X Plus in that box and hit go, it should come up with the page for your motherboard. Just below the picture of the board click Download, Select your Operating System (WinXP) and it will come up with a list of drivers.

Download the following ones: Chipset and Audio. There are two listed for Audio and I am not 100% sure which one yours is, so you might have to try one and see if it works, if it doesn't uninstall it and use the other one.

I would also suggest downloading and installing some kind of Antivirus, I use Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to work well enough for me and its free.

Hopefully this should solve your problems, it should also get rid of any of the yellow (!) in your Devices list, if there are any left let us know and we can try and sort those out aswell.

Remember to restart the PC whenever it asks you to during the installations.

Good luck :)

7. phenamenon

should i run in safe mode before every driver i install?

i installed graphic card driver and after that all yellow marks dissapeared,so i didn't install those audio and chipset...counter strike runs normally,trying to instal medal of honor when i start game message appears: physxextension.dll was not found,dunno if it's connected with drivers...

edit:but call of duty black ops runs normally,so i guess problem with drivers solved while there are anymore yellow marks,so thank you very much!!

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No problem, at least we got a decent chunk of them sorted out for you. Not sure about the physxextension.dll error as that should of been installed with the NVidia 266.58 drivers I think.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice