1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Game Freezes

Discussion in 'Games' started by joeheathuk, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeheathuk

joeheathuk Thread Starter

RECENTLY UPGARDED VIDEO CARD TO GEFORCE4X 440 AND 448MB OF RAM, AND HAVE ALL THE LATEST DRIVERS AND UP TO DATE DIRECTX. HOWEVER SINCE THE UPDATE I HAVNT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY ANY GAMES INCLUDING MEDEIVIL TOTAL WAR AND COUNTERSTRIKE, HOWEVER AGE OF EMPIRES STILL PLAYS WITH NO PROBS. THE GAMES EITHER DONT PLAY, FREEZE OR THE BLUE WINDOWS ERROR PAGE APPEARS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS COMON WITH TOTAL WAR GAMES BUT NOT COUNTERSTRIKE. I TRIED TO CHANGE THE AGP APERTURE SIZE (WHICH I'VE BEEN TOLD IS A POSSIBLE CURE) BUT MY BIOS DOES NOT HAVE ANY SETTINGS TO DO SO AND COMPAQ ADV ME THAT IT CANT BE DONE. I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 WITH A VIA CHIPSET MOBO RUNNING WINDOWS98SE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT BECAUSE I'M AT AND END HERE!!

MANY THANKS :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

do you have the latest directx 9c ps in the future dont use all caps as it is considered shouting and rude.

3. joeheathuk

sorry, just pissed off with these games. its been happenin alot with activision games but there is no support. yeah have dierctx 9c. puzzled?
    thanks

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

run directx diagnostics by going to run and typing dxdiag. there try all of the tests for directx video and sound etc.

5. joeheathuk

yip got it. all is in order but problem persists.
    thanks

6. joeheathuk

yip all in order. no problems with directx.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

is it all activision games or just some games and by different companies.

8. joeheathuk

apparently it is a lot of activision games call of duty total war etc... if you go to the total war forums at http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm2 there are alot of similar cases to mine but no solutions......

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i'll look into it.

10. Normal_crimi

Normal_crimi

In the DirectX Diagnostic tool, make sure everything in DirectX Features is enabled. If you've already done that then try changing your settings in the nVidia Control Panel.

11. The_PC_Gamer

The_PC_Gamer

Try nVidia's website, write to the support. Maybe They'll provide anything valuabe. If not, might as well exchange the card (MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO SIMILAR PROBLEMS first)

12. Monk

Monk

What are the specs on your computer system? Are you overclocking anything at all?

13. upl1nk

upl1nk

:confused: hum mm I've seen that happen... try removing one of the RAM DIMS and then run the game and see if it crashes...

14. joeheathuk

Hi sorry i havnt re posted. I eventually got the game working. I'm not too sure what i done exactly. I turned the monitor refresh rate down to 60 Hz and also the hardware acceleration down a notch along with the audio acceleration. Also i couldn't change my agp aperture setting in bios and the maximum the game would let me change it to was 32mb, so the game in battle mode goes pretty slow at times, but not to worry. My comp is pretty old so there must have been a compatibilty issue with my new graphics card being too good for my system or something along those lines. Well all being the game has been working well but i just have to see if the rest of them work as good.

thanks

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well try a few things out and make sure it works, then try and figure out what you did. the point of this place is so others can benefit off of the questions and solutions. then we can just report this thread as solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice