1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Game Freezing and Weird Sound!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zerkky, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zerkky

zerkky Thread Starter

Hello there,

I have been experiencing an issue with my Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop for quite some time now. Whenever I play certain games, 3 maybe 5 minutes go by and my laptop starts to lag heavily. It does not have to be an online game, but this is what it looks like- very heavy lag and I cannot continue to play. This lasts for about 8-10 seconds and stops for about 30 seconds, then repeats again and again. Along with this lag, I get a strange scratchy sound from my speakers like the original background/whatever music from the game, except very distorted and scratchy. Like I said, it will do this with certain games (such as Stronghold Legends or GunZ Online) while other games it does not effect (Counter-Strike or Grand Theft Auto).

My computer is CLEAN of viruses, spyware, malware, etc. All of my DirectX, java, or anything else is up-to-date. I got this laptop from my college about 2 years ago, and it has on it:

CPU/Ram: Intel Core2 Duo CPU 2.001 GHz / 3069 MB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm not sure what is causing this, and why this is happening on certain games and not on others. I hope there is someone out there who can help point me in the right direction for getting this resolved. These "lags" are very annoying and I cannot play some of my favorite games with this.. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Sounds like something is using up CPU. What programs do you have that auto starts ? Run msconfig and take a look at the startup tab.

Another possible thing is that maybe you have to update your graphics card driver.

3. zerkky

zerkky Thread Starter

Why would it work on some games and not others though? I tweaked my msconfig, so the only things that start up are: Dell wireless internet, java, my sound (realtek), nvidia, and this OEM13MON.exe from Creative Technology.

I just updated my graphics card driver yesterday.. didn't help.

4. zerkky

zerkky Thread Starter

Okay, so I went into the Device Manager and disabled my Realtek High Definition Audio under "Sound, video and game controllers". When playing the game, it still experienced the choppy "lag" but it was somewhat bearable and reduced the lag a little bit. What could this mean?? Is it the sound in my laptop that is causing this freezing??

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, this might not be what you like, but you can turn down the screen resolution in your game. That always speeds things up.

6. antech

antech Banned

Also turn the graphics low and
    BTW,which antivirus you use?
    Try running "chkdsk /r" in the cmd .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice