1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Game hiccups and freeze spikes. Savvy gamers please assist!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debear, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debear

debear Thread Starter

I am having a very annoying and obtrusive issue with random hiccups or mini freezes while playing all my games. Hopefully one of you will feel like racking your brain and help a fellow gamer out. Most recently: Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, and GTA 5. It doesn't matter what graphics quality I set each to, every couple minutes I get a complete freeze for maybe 1 second where the fps drops to 0-15. While seemingly random, it is consistently happening anywhere between 1-3 minutes apart. All other game time is a solid 60fps or more. I monitored MSI Afterburner and noticed sharp spikes to 0% GPU usage on the graph. Temps on both GPU and CPU cores seem reasonable and I ran an Intel CPU stress test (passed) and a Furmark GPU stress test (no issues). I guess I just don't know where to look or what steps I could take. I have already reformatted my SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 a couple times, tried the latest 3 Nvidia drivers, and checked if there were issues with the titles I have been trying. I don't have other parts I can swap with to test if it is the GPU, CPU, RAM, MOBO, or whatever else, so it is very frustrating. There's no doubt there are countless threads regarding similar issues I'm experiencing, but mine seems strange enough. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction. My current setup is as follows:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    CPU: I5-4690K 3.50GHZ
    RAM: G Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb
    MOBO: Gigabyte z97x-sli
    PSU: EVGA 850 B2

Here's a screenshot of all the hiccups shown in MSI Afterburner. My gpu drops to 0% usage for each of them as shown. http://s16.postimg.org/uum44bc7o/msi_results2.jpg

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, most people will not click on an unknown link; post any screenshot here rather than on a third party site.

Next what are your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values? Since this is a gigabyte board, go to the support page and download/install easytune [it is under the utility section] Once you install easytune, the above info is right there for you.

Have you run memtest? If not, do so. Run memtest for a minimum of 1hr to see if you have any errors.

3. debear

debear Thread Starter

I couldn't find much of that information in that easytune program, but here are some values nonetheless. Took a screen shot before and during gameplay. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does everything look normal?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

HWMonitor is useless; it was a decent program in it's day however that day has long passed. Easytune is showing cpu vcore however not the 12V, 5V, etc. Check the bios/uefi to see if it is shown under the hardware in the bios.

Next you have not answered. Have you run memtest?

5. debear

debear Thread Starter

Okay, I ran Memtest86. Let it run through a few passes, each with 0 errors. It's worth noting that I swapped my 970 gpu with an older 560, and the hiccups remained. So that at least rules that out.

I also checked bios and found the info you mentioned.

+3.3V/3.363V
    +5V/5.160V
    +12V/12.168V

DRAM Voltage 1.412V
    CPU Vcore 1.080V

Sys temp 26C
    CPU temp 32C

Everything look normal?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All except the dram voltage. It should be 1.5V [at least that is the default voltage] Did you change the setting? If you post the exact ram you have installed, We can check the correct dram voltage.

7. debear

debear Thread Starter

I bought G Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

• DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    • Timing 9-9-9-24-2N
    • Cas Latency 9
    • Voltage 1.5V

So yeah, looks like it should be 1.5V. Also, I think I saw the timing on the bios as 11-11-11-etc. Guess I got a slightly varied (and slower) set of RAM. :(

I didn't change any settings to my knowledge. I don't mess around with oc'ing components

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should be able to set the vdimm or ram voltage manually in the bios/uefi. First read your mb manual as to bios menus/options. Each bios [and sometimes even each revision] will have slightly different menus so giving you detailed directions for setting the vdimm is difficult.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice