Game only utilizing 2gb VRAM( Idk what is causing low fps?)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Korayzzz

Yes you guessed it right, im talking about that cursed game, Cyberpunk 2077, I have a lot of questions about performance of this game and i've never been so curious about something like that.

So, i am using an msi laptop. intel i7-9750H CPU, GTX 1650 GPU (4gb vram), and i have 8gb ram.

While playing cyberpunk;
I was getting 30-45 FPS on lowest settings 1080p, My gpu usage is 100%, cpu usage is constantly blinking between 50-90 but im not having any bottlenecks, okay cool. (no thermal problems either)

I wanted higher FPS so i decided to play with resolution, it must help, i thought; i was dropping it slowly and not noticing any increase on fps, then i decided to drop it to 720p, well still low fps, then i said [] it and dropped it down to 1280 x 768, at this point you cant even see whats happening on the screen. Then i checked my GPU usage, it's 50% so gpu is not having a hard time, CPU is not too obv, even on 1080p there were no bottlenecks. But my fps is same, 30-45. No change. There is nothing to render on the screen game looks like mud, theres nothing to do yet fps is still struggling. Why ?

So my question is, if it's not about power of my graphics card or processor, what is FPS about in cyberpunk 2077 ? I can get 60fps stable on witcher 3 which is a pretty good lookin game too.

Is it about VRAM ? I was suspecting it is. Because on system requirements they recommend 3gb of VRAM minimum. But my game only uses 2gb of VRAM. Why ? Why is it not using 3 or 4 ? Is this something i need to resolve ? Or simply a game devolopement fault that needs to be patched ? Can i make this game use more VRAM ? (if vram is the reason my fps is low)

Drivers up to date.
DxDiag report: https://gofile.io/d/5s6dwG

Thanks for trying to help.

Screenshot from 1024 x 768 lowest settings gameplay:

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
i am using an msi laptop. intel i7-9750H CPU, GTX 1650 GPU (4gb vram), and i have 8gb ram.
What's the model name and complete model number of that MSI laptop?
Why do you have only 8 GB of RAM in it?

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Korayzzz

What's the model name and complete model number of that MSI laptop?
MSI GL73 9SC
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL73-9SC/Specification
and this is the exact place i bought: https://www.amazon.com.tr/GL73-9SC-021XTR-i7-9750H-İŞLEMCİ-GEFORCE/dp/B07WPCY6W3 ( MSI GL73 9SC-021XTR it says.)

Why do you have only 8 GB of RAM in it?
Aah i.. don't know, its enough i guess ? Is it a problem related to my fps issue ? In the end game is not even using 3gb of it but it should.

I'm a bit of a noob on hardware stuff so please inform me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The MSI GL73 9SC laptop has 2 SODIMM slots and supports up to 64 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz RAM.
If yours has a single 8 GB module, you should add another 8 GB module.
If yours has two 4 GB modules, you should replace them with two 8 GB modules.
I can't image having a laptop with such great performing hardware and then handicapping it with only 8 GB of RAM.

Yours came with a 256 GB(238 GB actual capacity) solid state drive.
Unless you fill it with third-party apps and games and personal data, it should suffice.
If not, you should replace it with a larger capacity one.

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Are you sure it's using the GTX and not the Intel drivers? If it's using the Intel, then that may be the problem. That is using system RAM. The game minimum spec requirements is 8GB, recommended is 12GB so you should have at minimum 16GB of memory.

The MSI GL73 9SC laptop has 2 SODIMM slots and supports up to 64 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz RAM.
If yours has a single 8 GB module, you should add another 8 GB module.
If yours has two 4 GB modules, you should replace them with two 8 GB modules.
I can't image having a laptop with such great performing hardware and then handicapping it with only 8 GB of RAM.
-------------------------------------------------
I agree with everything above but I'm curious on why cyberpunk is having a hard time here. I have a Dell G3 15" 3590 with a 1660 ti with only an i5-9300H CPU. I've done fairly well with AAA games. Maybe my bar is low, as I only want 60fps and I'm happy. My point is this game is known to really hammer on pc hardware. (I have not played cyberpunk as of this posting.)

OP doesn't mention any other settings he's messed with. Just the resolution and not finding the desired result.

Is RTX on?
Have you worked with the settings from lowest to highest and worked your way up?
Fiddle with the preferences and find what's taxing the hardware.

As for the questions my best guess is the game engine doesn't need the extra vram. As far as I'm aware there's nothing you can do about it. I really don't think anything can be done here. Specially when the problem isn't across the board with other games such as the Witcher 3. Seems to be an isolated issue.

Korayzzz

Seems like it is caused by the game. Today when i was playing i had decent 50-60 fps (even on areas where it used to drop so much), without any change on utilization etc. on all of my hardware monitoring softwares. It seems just random, and like you said on other games everythings just fine. On both sessions i didn't have any software on background that could cause fps drops so its not about that.

Instead of launching the game through epic games launcher i launched it from Program Files/Epic Games/Cyberpunk2077/REDprelauncher.exe "as adminstrator" so this may have helped a bit, tho i am not sure if it was about that or something else / just rng.

Can't be 100% sure (honestly i have no idea at all), but all the signs show that game is having some problems with optimization / resource management or whatever. Whatever it is, theres nothing i can do to fix it except for waiting patches i guess.

Have you worked with the settings from lowest to highest and worked your way up?
Fiddle with the preferences and find what's taxing the hardware.
That actually makes a lot of sense thank you ! I will try it soon but rn im tired of testing stuff. Won't forget to share results (if i find something interesting that is) I will just enjoy the game a little bit. Even tho its an unfinished product with a lot of problems on both technical and gameplay sides, it is fun.

Is RTX on?
Only RTX cards has access to RTX 😳

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online