1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Game Pad driver installation problems. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neurochasm, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neurochasm

Neurochasm Thread Starter

I am using Windows 98SE and recently purchased a gamepad, I installed the drivers from the floppy disk(!) that came with it and it worked ok on half-life once calibrated apart from the jerky motion (not my graphics card etc), the pad seemed to stick a little so I sent it back and uninstalled the drivers using add/remove programs. Since then I have received a replacement pad which has buttons that don't "stick" and re-installed the drivers from floppy disk. Unfortunately it seems the drivers now will not install properly. The install wizard kicks in (slowly.. it is from floppy remember lol) and when the unzipping and copying of files takes place it jumps to 100% without the slow copying etc that happened the very first time I installed the driver. It's like they are already installed but they definately are not. Tried uninstalling and re-installing many times to no avail. The pad does appear on the list of game controllers and calibration etc but when playing games the pad is locked to spin right (makes me dizzy!). It's not the pad itself as I have tried another. Somehow the installation of drivers is skipping the essential bits due to a previous installation. Any suggestions please?

2. Neurochasm

Maybe I should just format my hard drive and start all over yet again eh?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try to download the drivers off the web - the might be a newer version of have a different installation procedure.

4. Neurochasm

Thanks for reply Triple6, doesn't appear to be any updates drivers for this gamepad (Topmax8) available online. The problem seems to stem from the .inf file not extracting from the .cab files on the disc, the topmax.vxd file is in the windows/system folder on my pc but the device manager is showing that the drivers assigned to the gamepad are the MS ones. I cannot force it to use the topmax8 virtual driver because it doesn't list the device (due to no .inf file?). There must be something somewhere I can delete to make the driver disk install properly as it did first time? Alternatively, what can I use to view/manually extract the .cab files from disk?

Thanks again.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most Compression utilities can open CAB files. If you do not currently have one you can download ZipGenius for free.

6. Neurochasm

Thanks, will try zipgenius, winzip was unable to open the cab files as the "signature byte" was missing.. will perservere, this is puzzling!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice