Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Game requesting graphics card that supports shader model 3

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Minal-D 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have recently purchased a game for my Windows XP Home Edition. Everything installed fine until I attempted to run the game. It say that I need to have a graphics card that supports shader model 3 and then closes the game.

My adapter type is: ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You have a graphics card that won't support pixel shader 3.0, a technology used for computation of colors and pixels, etc. used in games(likely 128MB).

My best advice would be to get a 256MB graphics card - I found this one for as low as $23: http://www.google.com/products/cata...n&gbv=2&cid=8231543568507679035&os=tech-specs

To manually install it you'll need directions, and hopefully a motherboard that can support it(if you've never done it before, especially).

Buy it if you can ... if you can't, see if there's a patch available online(a version of the game modded to work with a lower version of pixel shader)you can play via emulator software, etc.

PS: What game is it? That might help.

#4 ·
While it is possible to play the game without Pixel Shader 3.0(given some modifications that require software knowledge), you're in best bets buying that graphics card I mentioned in my last post.

That's pretty much the best deal you'll get for a graphics card(must buy online for best price though).

After buying the card, read the documentation on how to install it, and you can play the game immediately after that.

Or if you want it right now, buy one(more money)in a local store.

#7 ·
Hi,there is a program called SwiftShader which can trick the computer that it has the supported ammount of pixel shaders.It works with almost any game but it will lag a lot if you don't have a GOOD cpu and ram.My friend could run GTA IV with the same graphic card as you,tell me if you need the link.Good luck.

#8 ·
Hi,there is a program called SwiftShader which can trick the computer that it has the supported ammount of pixel shaders.It works with almost any game but it will lag a lot if you don't have a GOOD cpu and ram.My friend could run GTA IV with the same graphic card as you,tell me if you need the link.Good luck.
I've looked more into it and turns out that my processor is too old and not compatible with the game. It requires a dual core CPU which I do not have. New computer time :)

#11 ·
I would like to try the Swiftshader program just to see if it might work. Could you send me the link please? :)

#13 ·
Yeah,that's the link NuttyBar.
Basically,what you do is open the .rar file with WinRar and copy the folder from it to your desktop or anywhere else,after that copy the .dll file (d3d9.dll) and the SwiftConfig to your game folder.When you open up the game you want to play,it will run with some lag if your other hardware is low

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.