1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gamehook.dll

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by scott7705, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

when i boot up my computer and the desktop loads up, there is a folder called 'Resource Trainer' which flashes on for a couple of secs and i had enough time to open it before it vanished again today. inside was a file called 'GAMEHOOK.dll'. i tried to delete but it vanished again before i could do anything. does anyone know what this is and how i can get rid? It doesnt seem to be doing anything untoward but i dont trust it anyway.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It appears to be part of Logitech software. Do you have any Logitech programs or Logitech hardware installed on your machine?

3. Cheeseball81

Was this ever resolved? :)

4. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

sorry, was busy. nah still happenin, i do use a logitech wireless mouse, but as far as i know all it installed was the basic drivers.

5. Cheeseball81

I found this online:

It is part of the mouse driver package from Logitech Corporation for its pointing products. It is responsible for hooking (interfacing) with various games in order to permit the drivers to enable game-specific settings (such as programmable function keys). This process is generally required for proper operation of the mouse drivers.

Its listed to be associated with any of the following: Belongs to the software Logitech SetPoint or DVD Solution or GameTap or VirSyn miniTERA VSTi RTAS or Home Cinema or Microsoft Office Standard or Logitech Harmony Remote or HP Image Zone Express.

6. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

nice one. bit of a mixed bag there, i was optimistic when i saw it was to do with pointing devices but then i saw that list of apps and devices that use it and i dont use any of them. well except ms office but i dont know that version, i have pro. Is that all that uses it then.

7. Cheeseball81

Are any of those listed in your Programs list?

8. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

if you mean my programs and features list, no mate. I also used process explorer to check if gamehook was listed in any processes but cant see it. its weird because its apparently not in use but still pops up on boot!

9. Cheeseball81

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

10. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

ur link came up with a message:-
    Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later. Reference #11.6e15434d.1320399381.5aba283

so i downloaded hijackthis.msi from a uk site and when i tried to install it said administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. i think it may summat to do with this being a microsoft installer package. i am the admin, but i dont know the policies to change to allow it, can you help? sorry to be so much bother pal.

11. Cheeseball81

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice