1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gamepad questions

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gram123, Jan 23, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a gamepad for my PC, cos they seem to be pretty cheap, and it'll save me battering the life out of my keyboard when I play Pro BMX/Pro Skater type games. My preference at present is for a pad similar to a Playstation controller, but that's purely because I'm used to using them (already have the thumb calluses). If anyone can advise me on a 'better' pad, I'll be interested in your opinions.

I have a AMD Athlon 1Ghz drive, 384Mb, 20Gb HD, Windows XP Home Ed.

Questions:
    1) Who makes the best gamepads? Are there any makes I should keep away from? Why? (ha ha :D )
    2) How do they connect to your PC - i.e. to which port?
    4) Are they only compatible with a limited selection of games, or can they be used on just about any game?

Plus, any other info about usability, reliability, comfortability (!), issues with WinXP.

Thanks folks.
    Gram

2. marioh

marioh

Well, I've used 2 different ones in the last year or so.

I've used a Gravis Exterminator (or was it Eliminator??) which I loved...except for that annoying Precision button which is poorly placed on the gamepad and ended up getting pressed by accident very often by me. So I gave it away and got....

....a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro gamepad. Very nice controller....for the first few months. I've noticed that recently it doesn't work too well anymore...that's pretty bad considering it's only about 4-5 months old and I don't use it very often.

Both gamepads were USB. Both came with software which enabled you to customize buttons for different games. I prefered the Gravis interface as you could have customized buttons for particular games without having to change it per game (i.e.: you play Flight Simulator, your Flight Simulator controller setup is used. you play Tony Hawk, the Tony Hawk controller setup is used. no need to change the controller setup as it's done automatically). The Microsoft gamepad interface did not have this feature and you would have to manually change which setup you wanted to use per game (a pain in the butt if you're constantly playing different games, but a non-issue if you play the same game all the time).

The one thing that I liked with the Microsoft controller were 2 trigger buttons located in a great spot underneath the controller. I customized those to be my gear shifting in Porsche Unleashed and is the main reason why I would probably rate the MS controller higher than the Gravis.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Cheers Marioh.
    I realised after writing the thread question, that most of my games are FPS, for which a gamepad probably isn't much use, even if it would work, due to the number of keys required.

I may still get one, but any further comments (by anyone) are appreciated.

Gram

4. marioh

marioh

Actually, you could get a gamepad with analog controllers (the Gravis one that I had had them) and use those controllers for aiming (much like a mouse).

Personally, I prefer the keyboard/mouse combo on FPS type of games. I find it too difficult to aim, move, and shoot using a gamepad with analog controllers. And as well you know, if you can't do all 3 of those things at the same time, you're as good as dead in most FPS type of games.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice