1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gamer on A Budget

Discussion in 'Games' started by ibo_christian09, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibo_christian09

ibo_christian09 Thread Starter

Hi guys. I am planning to buy a new laptop but I am running quite short and on a budget. I do lot of graphic designing and programming as a student but like other teens out there I also love to play PC games. I research a lot and finally I had found something.

MSI F-Series FX420X

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION

Processor:

Intel Core i5-2410M (2.30GHz, 3M Cache)
    with TurboBoost up to 2.90GHz ]
    Sandy Bridge Processor

Chipset
    Mobile Intel HM65 Express Chipset

Memory:
    8GB DDR3

Hard Disk Drive:
    500GB

Optical Disk Drive:

DVD Super MultiDrive

Graphics:
    ATI Radeon 6470 Graphics
    with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Network:
    Integrated 10/100/1000
    Integrated 802.11 bgn

Physical:
    Dimension: 350 X 234 X 33.5mm
    Weight: approx. 2.20 kg

Display:
    14" TFT LCD

Webcam:
    1.3MP Web Camera available

Audio
    THX Sound

Battery:
    6- Cell Battery

Ports:
    USB 2.0 port x2
    with USB 3.0 Port x2
    Multi-in-One Card Reader

Features:
    The Latest 2nd Generation Intel® Core ™ i5 Processor
    14" TFT-LCD Widescreen Display
    Sound by -MSI Premium Sound
    THX TruStudio Pro to provide excellent surround sound effect
    MSI Cinema Pro Technology offers consumers the finest movie viewing experience.
    MSI GPU Boost Technology
    Latest & fastest data transfer technology USB 3.0

I admired its great features and its stylish design and texture. Moreover it is quiet cheap for its specs (Not sure if its in sale).
    Question is that: Does the graphics card good for those tasks i mentioned above? I heard some bad feedbacks above the 6470m. Let me hear it from here.

Note: I am not targeting for a hardcore gaming performance since i understand the fact that it requires xtra cash.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's a great website that shows where mobile graphics card lie in terms of performance: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6470M.43075.0.html
    The Radeon HD 6470 is great for everything aside from gaming, for gaming it is a bit weak but that'll depend on what games you intend to use it as well; some games will run decently well while others will struggle at settings above the Low.

Also note that the laptop comes with a 14" screen, thats pretty small; will that be good enough for your uses?

3. ibo_christian09

Yes.. 14" screen is good for me since i strive for portability.. Thanks for the site.. I see that the Radeon HD 6470 is not that satisfying.. How about GeForce GT540m? I can see that it performs better..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, its better. Again it depends on the games.

5. ibo_christian09

Had a question though, what would be worth the price:
    A. Graphics: GeForce GT540m 1Gb , 2Gb RAM, Had 3 USB ports ( one 3.0, two 2.0)
    B. Graphics: Radeon HD 6470m 1Gb, 8Gb RAM, Had 4 USB ports (two 3.0, two 2.0)

Same processor i5 2410m, 500 gb HDD, 14" display, etc.

Also, I have a question about the graphics card. My friends laptop had a 512mb Radeon 5470 (according to whats written on the "stickers" next to the touchpad) but when he run the dxdiag it says that the total memory of the display is about 1000+mb. How come they are different? And what does dedicated means. Thanks for the time to reply bro..

6. ibo_christian09

Sorry, I forgot to mention the games I would want to install in my laptop. These are my preferred games:
    - Assassins Creed Games
    - Skyrim
    - WOW
    - CS and COD games
    - Blur
    - NFS

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dedicated means that the memory is on the graphics card not borrowed or allocated from the system's RAM.
    The reason you see higher numbers in some areas under Windows is because additional RAM from the system can be allocated as needed to the graphics subsystem to be used for additional textures and such, its not a replacement for actual memory on the graphics card or memory that has been allocated by the BIOS strictly for the graphics card's use.

Based on the limited info laptop B has the better specs aside from the graphics; 4 times as much RAM, and 1 additional USB 3.0 port.

Just looking at Skyrim:

Supported Graphics Cards:
    Minimum – nVidia GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850
    Recommended -Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher

Neither of those cards are meet the minimum requirements for Skyrim, you'll have to check the rest.

Another chart for comparison that lists desktop and laptop GPU's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html
    Be aware that mobile equivalents are slower then their desktop counterparts.

8. ibo_christian09

Thanks for tons of information.. Had so many questions incoming.. Just to be sure I can understand what are the necessary info about the specs.. Is the TFT-LCD display good? What about the sandy bridge processor, what does that mean?

9. ibo_christian09

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    TFT-LCD is pretty much what all laptop and desktop LCD type panels are.

Sandy Bridge is the code name for one of Intel's current processor designs, so for example the i5-2410m is part of the Sandy Bridge family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

More memory on the video card can indeed help performance but not generally that much, it is not a substitute for a more powerful GPU/graphics cards. Generally graphics cards are not sold with an amount of memory that significantly hampers their performance and adding more memory on lower end cards has less gains then on higher end cards.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!