Games and a few other Apps don't have access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trail.of.fiends

I have done a lot of things in the hope that I would fix a strange issue that occurred to me from a few weeks until now. I set up a Z drive for sharing project purposes and at some point the server owner told me that Owncloud (the program we used) was giving him strange notifications about me updating random files. He blocked my connection to the server as a prevention.

This moments marks the start of when these issues arised: Epic Launcher (Unreal 4 engine) mentions I should have my net on to log in; Project Reality (an online game) mentions no server verification was able to be done; despite getting access back to the server of my friend's, Owncloud is not syncing in my Z drive; Steam chat works but I can't add new contacts or go through other Steam features with only a nice big fat "Error 301" popping up; McAffee is also unable to get internet connection while I was roaming around for answers as well as ioBit extra downloadable features that I clicked by mistake.

I have turned off Windows and router's firewall. I set up my DNS to Google's. I used cmd command for repair netsch command. I have rebooted my modem to give me a new IP. I have ran Malware bytes. I have updated Java. I have ran a cmd command to repair Windows system files.

I'm using Windows 7 x64, apart from this I can surf through the internet easily and I have no idea what to do at the moment. I would highly appreciate any tips about what all of these apps have in common so that I can try and fix them from its root.

Not sure it if helps but I ran Process Monitor while opening Project Reality (the game) and this is what turned up:

If you have any ideas of where to look for I would appreciate it immensely.

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What modem and/or router do you have? What other devices do you have connected to the same internet connection?

trail.of.fiends

My router is a Thomson TG784n. It came with my ISP.

As for the other devices only a Desktop PC.

Mine is ethport 2, the other desktop is in ethport 1. ethport 3 is a cable that connects to my cable box.

Not sure if the wireless connection matters but it's a tablet.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does the computers on Ethernet 1 and 3 have the same issue?

trail.of.fiends

Ethernet 3 is just a cable that connects to my cable box for TV.

As for Ethernet 1, the other Desktop PC, I have installed Steam and it shows up everything just fine, including adding new contacts. I also installed Epic Launcher (Unreal 4) and I was able to log in successfully from there. It's fair to assume it's not sharing the same issue.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK so it sounds you are losing connectivity on this computer. Try a ping test by going to Command Prompt and typing ping google.com -n 100 - this will go for about a minute if everything is fine.

I would be interested in the Max ms and packet lost.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also do you have any nintendo productts or use GameSpy?

EDIT: Just saw your post.... it looks like you are using IPv6... is IPv4 turned off?

trail.of.fiends

The only Gamespy related content is Punkbuster that is mandatory for Project Reality game. When I first installed it Punkbusters was freezing and I had no other option but to turn off my PC as it was taking almost a hour to complete the final step. The 2nd install went without any trouble. I have uninstalled the game ever since along with Punkbuster via Control Panel.

Not at all. They were in their default settings at first. The only operation I ever did was actually ticking off IPv6 when this issue arised. IPv4 is using Google's DNS btw.

EDIT:

Not sure if this helps but I searched how to find out about that and this what came up (sorry for the half cropped info but the window didn't stretched further than that for some reason):

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
ugh I hate Atheros lol.

The reason I ask about GS is because there is an attempt on port 29900 so perhaps it's not completely removed?

Try running this ping command: ping google.com -t and then while that running try one of you affected programs and see if we can 'break' the pings

trail.of.fiends

Nope. tried to download stuff in ioBit, restarted Steam, started McAffee and click on random stuff and I've also tried to log in Epic Launcher. The mms doesn't lower than 7 and the previous line remains the same throughout.

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
CTRL+C will stop the pings if you haven't done so already. So it disconnected on you in the programs but the pings were fine?

trail.of.fiends

Yeah same like before. No oscilation whatsoever that seemed worthy of note.

Also something I edited prevously that I'm not sure if you read it:

"By looking around in my AppData there is a Punkbuster folder there with files in it. Although I will wait for your suggestion about the next step (and if to remove these remnant files, the proper effective way to handle it)."

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try looking in the Services console (Windows Key + R, type services.msc) and see if you can find a listing for Punkbuster, pb, or maybe evenbalance. If you do see one, right click and choose disable. Then reboot and see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online