1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games (and some apps) crash as soon as I press a key on my keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monk, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

Any time that I press a key on my keyboard in game, it completely crashes the game (sometimes with an error and sometimes without). This happens with about 75% of my games, so this is definitely a hardware issue. For example, I'll load up a game, and when I go to type in my login information, the game crashes (i.e. Torchlight 2). Or if I get into a game and press the "e" key to access an item, my game crashes (i.e. Borderlands 2). This does not happen with games like WoW or Arma III, but does for most of my games.

I have tried using a different USB connector and a different keyboard altogether, but to no avail. Has anyone ever come across this type of issue?

I use a nVidia GTX 660 video card, Windows 7

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

3. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

Problem started awhile back. It went away (no idea why because I made no hardware changes) then came back again a month or two ago.

I've also rolled back my video drivers (3 different versions) to see if that was the issue.

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/09/12 11:39:37 Ver: 36.03
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE (LGA1155)
    Monitors: Gatewat FHX2402L ([email protected]) (Primary), older Samsung SyncMaster ([email protected])
    Video Card: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (Gigabyte)
    Current PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    Storage:
    232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD)
    698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 ATA Device (SSD)
    223GB SSD2SC240GE2DA16B-T ATA Device (SSD)
    USB gaming mouse
    USB Keyboard (Dell)

4. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

Just added a different, newer monitor and still crashes.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could be that you are trying to use an under powered (Lowend for Corsair) psu, that is intended as a basic computing system PSU.

6. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

That just doesn't seem like something that would cause a crash based on a keyboard input though? Some games work fine; even a newer one like arma III, which likely uses more power.

What do you think?

7. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

Just checking in to see if anyone has any ideas?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I should have admitted earlier that I am in no way a serious or even any kind of gamer (except the games a POGO and Facebook) so I could not tell you what games require what. I do know that Power supply problems can Mimic problems that could be caused by other system components and even software problems. I do know that the power supply you list is fine for every day computing like video viewing, email, office type programs. That is why Corsair even states that this line of power supplies are designed for Basic Computing Needs.

9. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

I appreciate the response! The reason why I dont think it is the PS (though I do need a new one) is for a few reasons:

1) It started happening out of the blue. It did it once before, went away, and came back again. Now it seems like it is hear to stay

2) My resource intensive games aren't affected by this issue (Arma III).

3) It happens during log in screens as well for some of my games, before the game loads.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does it do this when logging into other programs that require logging in as well?

11. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

It does this for a launching program for DayZ, which is an server searching application and not a game. (Does this when I press a key in the search field).

I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I tried the Win7 virtual keyboard and when I click a key, it crashes as well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice