Games and Video Lag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Roudra

Hi guys

So I had bought this laptop in 2015 and is about 4 years old now. When i first bought it games like GTA V, Minecraft, COD BO3, where running just fine I was getting about 40-50fps on high settings in most of the games. But I believe it was 2017 when everything when everything went downhill. Firstly, I had bought FIFA 17 and was experiencing sudden FPS drops to about 5-10 FPS every 5 seconds or so. So for 5 seconds the fps would be 40 then it would drop down to about 5-10. Also during this time Laptop temperature would be at about 85-95C! It was infuriating and I found a very weird fix for it. The fix was that everytime I started playing I would go into MSI Afternburner and overclock my GPU by a tad bit. This made the games run at a constant 50 fps but the temperature would still be very high( I believe that the my computer was thermal throttling during this time). I would like to mention that I had taken my laptop to a repair shop and they had replaced the fan inside and had cleaned the entire computer in 2017. Unfortunately the overclocking technique didn't work after a few months my laptop started lagging in every game possible so I bought a PS4 and I play on it nowadays for the most part. Now lets fast forward to the present...the main issue is that when I play any game even Minecraft my laptop lags and Minecraft runs at about 5-15 fps. I don't know why. I really want to play MC on pc as the controls are just way better than using a controller....thats it. Keep in mind that my CPU Temp is around 60C while running minecraft but my laptop still lags. Regarding the video issue, whenever I watch an HD Video which is 60fps my laptop again drops frames to about 5 while watching the video.Remember this doesn't happen when I watch an HD video on 30fps it only happens when its 60fps. Also keep in mind that when the fps drops my cursor skips around on the screen in a very laggy fashion, and the audio stutters and is very unclear. I really want a fix for this issue as I just want to play minecraft with KB and M. If you guys need any extra information or a clip of the lag please let me know...waiting for your prompt responses. Thanks in advance!

Specs of my Laptop:

GPU- Nvidia GTX 950m 4gb VRAM
CPU- i5-6200u
HDD- 1tb 5400 RPM HDD
RAM- 12gb DDr3
No SSD
IDK Power supply

All drivers are up to date btw! :)

Technical Specs-
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 12122 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb (IDK why it doesn't show 950m )
Hard Drives: C: 466 GB (404 GB Free); D: 463 GB (463 GB Free);
Motherboard: FF50, 06F3
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Go to Start and type 'winver' to give us the version of Windows 10. Games are constantly updated to move along with new releases of Windows 10 every half year. An older version of Windows 10 will not be compatible with the game anymore.

What programs do you have running always? Check on Task Manager. Background running tasks take up cpu processing time and slows down the program that you are trying to run. Try to find the programs that you installed, not the Windows Processes as they are mostly necessary. In the Processes tab, try clicking on the CPU column header to sort the programs that are using the most cpu time to the top.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
cpu.JPG gpu.jpg

These are the performance scores for the processor and the 2 graphic devices in your laptop.
If it's using the integrated Intel graphic device instead of the dedicated GeForce graphic device, that may be part of the problem.

You appear to have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Is that correct?
What is its complete model number?
(2 sets of characters separated by a dash comprise the complete model number)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Roudra

Go to Start and type 'winver' to give us the version of Windows 10. Games are constantly updated to move along with new releases of Windows 10 every half year. An older version of Windows 10 will not be compatible with the game anymore.

What programs do you have running always? Check on Task Manager. Background running tasks take up cpu processing time and slows down the program that you are trying to run. Try to find the programs that you installed, not the Windows Processes as they are mostly necessary. In the Processes tab, try clicking on the CPU column header to sort the programs that are using the most cpu time to the top.
Microsoft Windows Version - Version 1803, OS Build-17134.765.

Thanks for your response. I have attached an image of the task manager. My CPU usage is usually around 5-10% while idling. I have also noticed that exactly when the FPS drops in game the CPU utilisation shoots up to 65% in games like minecraft and to about 95% in games like Fortnite, and as soon as it increases the fps drops for like 4 secs to 10 as I have mentioned before. I have not noticed any specific process which increases CPU utilisation. Thanks for the help BTW! :)

Attachments

Your Windows 10 is a year out of date, there have been 2 versions released since 1803.

Roudra

View attachment 270224 View attachment 270225

These are the performance scores for the processor and the 2 graphic devices in your laptop.
If it's using the integrated Intel graphic device instead of the dedicated GeForce graphic device, that may be part of the problem.

You appear to have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Is that correct?
What is its complete model number?
(2 sets of characters separated by a dash comprise the complete model number)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, appreciate the response. You are right I am using a Toshiba Laptop its called Toshiba Satellite L50-C1962.
There is a part number written underneath the laptop its PSKW2V-00V016AR. Thanks for the scores you have provided, I make sure that games run on 950m instead of intel HD graphics by right clicking on the game and 'running it with GTX 950m'. I do think the issue is with the CPU as I have ran the game on both Intel and Nvida graphics but the lag is still there. I think my those scores are enough to run minecraft,
. If you need anymore info please ask. Thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am using a Toshiba Laptop its called Toshiba Satellite L50-C 1962
There is a part number written underneath the laptop its PSKW2V-00V016AR
I'm having difficulty finding the support site for that laptop.
What's the exact serial number on it?
What country was it purchased in?
It appears the L50-C models originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit, but I can't confirm that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roudra

Your Windows 10 is a year out of date, there have been 2 versions released since 1803.
I had gone into settings, after you messaged, and updated my laptop. It download all the possible updates but it still shows that my windows version 1803. Is this normal or is there any other update I need to do? My OS Build number changed to 17134.799 though. I also tried playing minecraft but its still the same :(.

Roudra

I'm having difficulty finding the support site for that laptop.
What's the exact serial number on it?
What country was it purchased in?
It appears the L50-C models originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit, but I can't confirm that.

The serial number is YF163926C. It was purchased in a Middle Eastern country called Oman. Sorry for the difficulty you are facing.

Maybe Windows Update won't download an upgrade version for systems that are too far apart. Go download MS Media Creation Tool, run it to generate a Windows setup DVD or USB memory stick. Then use it to upgrade.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That serial number confirms you do have a Toshiba Satellite L50-C1962 laptop which was purchased in Oman.

Capture.JPG

It has full driver support for Windows 10 64-bit. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online