1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games are freezing on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nightshade12, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nightshade12

Nightshade12 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm having a problem where any 3D game will freeze up the moment I launch the game. The screen goes black for about 5 seconds, then takes me to my desktop and stays frozen until I end the program with ctrl-alt-del. This problem started about 3 days ago. However, I've had a problem for a long time where certain games, such as Grand Theft Auto III won't start because I get an error message that the game requires at least 16MB of video memory (even though I have 128MB). And with 3D games that do work, I get lots of little white dots all over the screen. My graphics card manufacturer says there is no problem with my card. I ignored these problems for about a year but now it's gotten to the point where games won't start up at all. I have tried replacing the motherboard, RAM, video card, and monitor with no success. All my drivers are up to date and I have the latest DirectX.

One thing to note - One time when I had started up a game, Mechwarrior 4, the game did its usual freezing thing for about 30 seconds. Then when it finally took me back to Windows there was an error message saying "Device failure detected". But my computer works fine except games won't start.

Any help/ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:
    Windows XP Home
    Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz processor
    Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4280 128 MB graphics card
    1024 MB Kingston PC3200 HyperX RAM
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
    Maxtor 120GB hard drive

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Can you access bios setup to check temps before the game? And then again after the game?

3. Nightshade12

The CPU temperature went from 91 to 104 degrees, and the motherboard temp stayed at 95.

4. ~Candy~

Temps are within reasonable limits. I'd say it's a failing video card.

5. Nightshade12

I'm not sure how that could be the problem, since I have the same problems with 2 separate cards - a GeForce4 MX420 and a GeForce4 Ti4280... Also I've sent in the Ti4280 for repair and the manufacturer said they could find no problem with it. Any other ideas what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

6. ~Candy~

Just for fun, have you tried playing any games in safe mode? Obviously graphics will be lousy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice