1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Are Freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phil Anselmo, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phil Anselmo

Phil Anselmo Thread Starter

I have a problem, whenever i play a game, ill gend to play for a while, and without fail, my pc always ends up locking up, sometimes i also get the blue screed saying there was a page fault in a vxd or something like that. If anyone has a clue whats going on and how to fix it, plese tell me

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

A couple of things to try !
    #1 end task on all programs in your startup exept explorer and systray, see if that helps !
    #2 set your display properties to 600x 400 and try again !

and please!!!! POST BACK !!! we can't help further if we don't have input from YOU...Rhett

3. kitmac

kitmac

Hi Phil,

The fact that your PC is locking up during graphic-intensive tasks like games suggests there might be a problem with your graphics card drivers.

As far as I am aware all vxd files are driver files.

So I would check all the drivers are ok in Control Panel - System - Device Manager. If there are any yellow exclamation marks, that could be your problem.

Even if everything is ok there, I would still check you have the latest drivers for your video card and update them if necessary.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you could also try updating your soundcard drivers - I know from bitter experience that sometimes audio/video driver conflicts can cause all kinds of wierd behaviour.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Kit

4. Phil Anselmo

OK, ive installed and reinstalled video drivers sountless times. but the problem persists. I havent looked into sound card drivers though, is there any programs that will tell me the kind of sound card i have?

5. brianF

brianF

To find sound card go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/sound tab, it should be listed under this tab.

another thing to look at would be overheating. This would cause the same errors when doing cpu and graphic intense applicatins as games.

Make sure all your fans are running, open up the case, blow it out good with a can of compressed air.

Try running the machine with the case open and a fan blowing into it, if it doesn't lock up then heat is the problem.

could be

Processor fan/heatsink not fitted right, fan not working, low air flow
    Video card fan not working.
    Power supply fan malfunction.

6. Phil Anselmo

another thing i noticed thats weird on my pc, whenever i turn my pc on, my system resources fall to about 55%, even after i ctrl+alt+del, and remove unnecessary programs, i still only get a bout 65 t0 70% system resources free. Is that normal?

7. ratchet

ratchet

Phill,
    I have had similar problems, your system resources are definitely low check outhttp://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm .
    And you might check out OS Decay at MSN and see if you fit the descripition.
    P.S. I am also a junior so if my link doesn't work don't get up set, I'll check back, and E-mail it.
    Good Luck

8. Phil Anselmo

thanks for that, i tweaked my computer and it know runs a lot better, but the problem with games still persists. but another thing, all i have running at startup is systray and explorer, and i have 94% resources, as soon as i open aol and sign on, it goes down to 75%, is that normal too?

9. ratchet

ratchet

Phill,
    If you are asking me that is normal. I am running at 63% right now.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the exact VxD error message you get when running games? Include the error address.

These are often caused by not having VIA 4in1 drivers installed for motherboards that use VIA chipsets.

11. Phil Anselmo

Rollin dog, i hardly even get the vxd message, most of the time it just locks up, and i cant even ctrl+alt+del, but next time i get the blue screen, ill write down what it says. also, i know my pc DOES have a VIA chipset, but im not sure if those drivers you are talking about are installed

12. Phil Anselmo

ok, heres what the error on the blue screen says when i get it:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000676B in VXD VMM (01) + 0000576B

can anyone tell me what that means??

13. ratchet

ratchet

Phill,
    Don't quote this as gospel, but I have been told that for fatal errors run setup.
    It has worked for me and win98.

14. Phil Anselmo

so you mean reinstall windows 98?

i have se by the way, if that makes any difference

15. brianF

brianF

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice