1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games bouncing back and forth between laggy and smooth??

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkedge1212, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkedge1212

darkedge1212 Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I have been trying to play a few games on my laptop recently, and I've noticed the oddest thing. Take Dungeon Siege 2 for example; I start the game up, graphics are set to high, and the game runs smooth as butter. About 5 minutes go by and then I hit a massive lag spike, my frame-rate drops from 40 to 10. This lasts for about another 5minutes then... its back to being smooth again? It will keep doing this switch back and forth constantly. The game only uses about 400mb of ram, and even when its being laggy, lowering the graphics to bare-bones doesn't make the slightest difference.

I tried setting the core affinity to 1, 2 or both, that doesn't seem to make anything better. I tried raising the app priority, but vista keeps reseting it i think. And oddly, by minimizing the game and waiting about 30seconds, the game will go back to being smooth again.
    What is going on??

Specs:
    Vista Home Premium
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    2046MB RAM

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Any other programs or tasks running in the background?
    such as an active antivirus/spyware scanner?

Sounds like something is using CPU time every 5 or so min and slowing the game down.
    And, be sure your hard drive is defragmented. Helps the game find it's files faster.

3. darkedge1212

Yah that's what I thought at first but I found out what's going on. Every 5min or so the temp on my laptop cores rises to 95C !! Then I guess the computer tries to cool itself down by shutting down one of the cores or something for a little bit. Then once it's cooled it runs fine again.

I know how to fix heat issues on a PC, not a laptop, what should i do?

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

5. darkedge1212

awesome, thanks for the link. I'm going to try opening it up and cleaning it out a bit first, then if that doesn't work i'll probably go with the pad

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice