1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games crashing on my comp

Discussion in 'Games' started by Luke87, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luke87

Luke87 Thread Starter

hi everyone,

whenever i play a game on my computer after a while it crashes saying (gamename).exe has encountered an error and must be closed, i have no idea what this is. I'm not even sure what to check for, or what info to give but basically every game i run crashes after a while. Eq2 can take hours to crash, but as soon as i hit the "stress test" option on countstrike source it does this.

My video card is nvidia geforce 6600
    2 gigs of ram
    windows xp athlon 3.2

When it crashed last with EQ2 it said it would include a file frmo my temp folder called 6191appcompat.exe. If thats relevent tell me and ill get more info on it.

Tell me what info you need i'll check back tomorrow.

2. ohgrant

ohgrant

3. Luke87

Luke87 Thread Starter

when i install that i uninstall the old driver right?

4. Luke87

Luke87 Thread Starter

how do i figure out what chipset driver i need?

5. ohgrant

ohgrant

6. ohgrant

ohgrant

Yes, and you should also use driver cleaner to get any leftovers. http://www.drivercleaner.net/

7. Luke87

Luke87 Thread Starter

ok thanks, still not sure what you meant by chipset driver though

8. ohgrant

ohgrant

If you can tell me what PC you have I will investigate

9. frankj00

frankj00

I d/l the EVEREST trial and it gives me all the info needed, thanks for that.
    Is replacing the motherboard on my comp as easy as taking out the old one and installing the new one? I need to upgrade from an Intel Celeron CPU 2.4GHz to a Pentium 4 3.2 Processor, then from there I plan on upgrading my memory, and video card. I'm hoping to do all this myself. Save me some dough you know. System Requirements Lab helped out alot!

Frank :eek:

10. ohgrant

ohgrant

You should be able to handle it, Just make sure your grounded so you don't jap nothing and use arctic silver thermal paste for the CPU.

11. Luke87

Luke87 Thread Starter

i think its an asus a7 or something

from cyber power

12. ohgrant

ohgrant

I'm afraid that might not be quite enough but I'm thinking you may have a VIA chipset and they don't like any NVIDIA 6 series card. Try changing your AGP rate to 4x in your BIOS, this helped me with my old SIS chipset that had problems with. Download this and let me know if it helps. VIA chipset AGP driver http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

13. Erickat

Erickat

Just a note here, it may not be a video driver problem, it could be a Windows issue. What version of Windows are you running and have you got all the updates relevant to your pc?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice