1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games crashing on new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joerock80, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joerock80

joerock80 Thread Starter

Hey what's up people? I have been having a serious problem with my pc since I built it. I have a AMD 64 Abit 3000hz processor with 1 gig of ram and a 60 gig hard drive and a geforce 5200fx video card to put it briefly. I for some odd reason cannot play Rome:total war, age of mythology, or empire earth. But I can play age of empires and stronghold. Everytime I try to play the better games my computer crashes to the blue screen but runs just fine on age of empires and stronghold. I've try registry mechanic, reinstalling the games, and updating the drivers and it still does the same thing. Can someone please help me, I dying to play my new games but I can't?

Sincerely,
    joerock80 :(

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Welcome to TSG. To better assist you i am reporting this thread to be moved to games where you will be better assisted. Don't worry you are not in trouble.

Go to start>run, and run "dxdiag" Create a full report and post it here or atleast verify you are using the latest DirectX and what version of your directx+drivers.

3. joerock80

joerock80 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the help I appreciate it but I have already done that as well and I have the most up to date version of direct x and everything is running ok. I even have gone to device manager to make sure everything is working correctly. Thanks for the help and I would appreciate any other input you might have.
    joerock80

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Are you monitoring your temps? Do the games load and play for awhile or do they just crash immediately?

What power supply are you using? Heat would be my first guess, but if the game won't even load or play at all that isn't it. Power could do it, but that is kind of borderline. A machine really doesn't use that much more power when gaming but it is a possibility.

The most obvious since you say BSOD is ram. You could download and run memtest86 or microsoft memtest and run it to check things out. Yeah, I'd say memory. It took me all this typing to come up with it but what the hell, it is 3 am. :D

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I know it may seem like i am treating you like a total idiot, but this has happened before, one person said they haid all up to date drivers, yet it turned out they didn't, while this may not even effect the outcome could you post the versions of your
    Operating System
    DirectX
    Graphics Driver
    Please not i only insist because this may help you.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing I would do is to determine if it is software or hardware related. [These are mostly hardware however it does not hurt to check]

Restart the system in safe mode. Now run an app that stresses the system. I like to use prime95, however there are others. If it runs prime95 for 2+ hours in safe mode, you have a software, driver, app, etc type of problem. If it blue screens, reboots, freezes, etc in safe mode, then you have a hardware issue.

Post back with results and we can go from there. Once you know where to look, it becomes easier to find the problem.

BTW it is pretty hard to get an AMD64 to overheat unless the hsf is not attached correctly. Those processors run pretty cool. Right now as I type this, the amd64 in my system is running @30C.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

He did build it himself maybe just didn't set it right. But i'm not accusing him of anything.
    Thats a neat method crj, though it takes long seems like it'll get the job done well.

8. joerock80

joerock80 Thread Starter

Well I tried the memory test and I don't think it is my power suppy. My temperature is running about 40-45 degrees on the cpu. The only thing that isn't new is my video card and before I built this computer my other one took some damage to the motherboard while moving. Do you think it could be the video card? I am about ready to take the the store after I try a few more things. I am not a computer wizard, all that I've learned is because all these problems I have otherwise I wouldn't know anything. I going to leave my system specs and hopefully I can solve this problem before I take it down to the store. Thanks for all your help.

Abit AV8 motherboard
    AMD 64 3000 cpu
    DDR 2x512mb ram
    memorex 16x dvd/cd-rom
    maxor 60gig hard drive
    450w power supply with 6 cooling fans
    windows xp home edition
    nvidia geforce 5200fx video card with direct x 9.0

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

*if* your grapics card was in any way damaged, or is causing problems throughout ur computer, then yes it could be the graphics card. My old voodoo was damaged and tons of crazy things went on.
    BTW nice setup i plan on upgrading to that soon (or atleast alot of what you got up there)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice