1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Crashing on new PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rhettman5.1, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1 Thread Starter

I just built a new PC, and for some reason, Games I had on my old 98 Machine are crashing to the desktop, or the video is extremely choppy
    I have updated the vid drivers from ATI/Radeon and Directx 9.0b says there are no problems in dxdiag.

The two games I have tried... Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 and Max Payne.. I tried Max Payne after Tiger Woods just to confirm a problem existed.

Video is choppy and freezes the screen on Tiger woods...Maxx payne crashes to the desktop, animations seem to run fine untill you get into play mode.

This system is 3 times faster than my last one and has twice the RAM, and they both played fine on it . so whats up :confused: ...Rhett

PC.. AMD XP2400
    Windows 2K Pro
    512 MB RAM
    ATI/Radeon 9000
    160 GIG W/D harddrive

2. McTimson

McTimson

Hmm...have you checked for game updates/patches?

3. Rhettman5.1

I just noticed I grabbed the WDM capture driver but NOT the newer display driver..I'll grab that and give it a shot...will take awhile on dial-up, but I'll let you know either way :)

4. Rhettman5.1

Updated drivers didn't seem to help...Max Paye still crashes..plays fine up untill the first mission, even the tutorial works, but as soon as the first level loads...crash back to the desktop I go...sigh...I'll try another game and see if this is happening with all of them.

5. Rhettman5.1

OK, all squared away..after installing the new drivers, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled, works fine now, as for max payne, there is a patch out that fixed it as well... this is the first PC I've built, so I was a little panicky there when things didn't work ! :eek: ... Rhett :)

6. McTimson

McTimson

Great! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice