1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by kroma, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kroma

kroma Thread Starter

Hi all. Recently the games i play ( face of mankind and prey) have started to crash to desktop and sometimes crash my whole system making it reboot. I have been playing face of mankind for over a year now and never had these problems before but when in a combat situation it will regulary crash to desktop, also i just bought prey and this will also crash to desktop with a jerky sound repeat and sometimes crash my whole system after playing for between 5 and 30 mins. Also BF2 has never worked on my system, i can play for about 5 mins then my whole system will lock up, with a jerky sound repeat, then wont even start afterwards. I tried a system restore to before the problems started happening but this didnt fix the problem. I have a feeling the problem might be my sound card, as it is quite old in relation to the rest of my system. Im sure u can understand my frustration as my computer cost near to £2000 and my favourite games are no longer playable.
    my system specs are:

AMD FX 55
    Geforce 6800GT(with latest drivers)
    SB live! sound card
    1 gig ram

I am tempted to buy a new sound card (fatality SB) to try and fix the problems but if it didnt work would obviously be a big waste of money, any ideas or comments that might help me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Kroma.

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your sound card?

This also may be a problem with your system overheating or having a low supply of power.

3. kroma

kroma Thread Starter

well i belive i have got the latest drivers for my sound card but they are from 2003, before i bought my computer, also i dont beleive it is overheating as it can happen shortly after starting my comp and i check my graphics card temp which is fine and my case is a Akasa 62 which is great for cooling. My power supply should be more than enough as it should be able to support 2 x 6800GT's. Could it possibly be a virus? Perhaps i could have my system formated, reinstall drivers and start from scratch?

4. Kramer55

Kramer55

That would probably be the next best step in my opinion, but you might want to wait and see what others on this forum have to say.

5. kroma

kroma Thread Starter

ok thanks for the input

6. kroma

kroma Thread Starter

just tried to play planetside, after 10 mins my whole system crashed, so i reckon its gonna happen with any game i try and play. If i take it to a computer shop will they be able to format it and reinstall drivers, so basically its like it was brand new?

7. danmcman

danmcman

Did you buy this system through a vendor or is this a home-build?

Could you post the specs for your mobo/ram? Have you tried running memtest on the RAM? Have you tried looking in the event log for any clues leading up to the crash?

I agree with Kramer55 that it could be overheating. Check your heatsink and fans to make sure they're spinning right. Also, you could try running the system with the side panel off while having a box fan blowing onto the mobo.

8. Jones

Jones

Don't be so sure. What brand is it? What wattage is it? How many amps are on each rail?

A crummy PSU was the cause of my games crashing. I upgraded to a premium PSU, and it's stable as a rock now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice