1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Levontaun, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Levontaun

Levontaun Thread Starter

H'lo,

I am having trouble with video games crashing. The more graphically intensive a game is (particularly FPSs), the more likely it is to crash. It never dumps in the same spot either... sometimes it will run a while, sometimes it crashes right away.

I am running a ATI 8500 All-in-wonder and a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, but I recently changed both video and sound cards and the hard drive and it didn't help.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I can post the stack dump here if it will help, I never could read those things....

-Levontaun

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

What power supply do you have?

3. Levontaun

Levontaun Thread Starter

NU-Power RX-380K, 380 Watt

4. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

My first reaction is, that is the problem. As your computer starts cranking up it draws more and more from the power supply. That's what graphically intense games do to a system. I think you are running out of juice.

When you get a power supply you should pay attention to the Amps on the 12 volt rail. 380 watts is ok for your system but I'm betting, since I can't really find too much about yours, it is very low ampage.

If in the future you want to upgrade to SLI crossfire or any new high power graphics card you need a minimum of 28 amps on the 12 volt rail. you can get that number by adding all 12 volt lines amps. For example a power supply with four 12 volt lines with 15 amps on each has a total of 60 amps, more than enough.

I hope I helped.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!