1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games don' t work anymore

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlecL, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlecL

AlecL Thread Starter

None of my games work anymore, I either get a black screen, then am sent back to windows with no explanation or the games just don't run. These are all old games that I've played a long time ago and haven't touched for years and now when i try them they don't work! I've installed the latest version of directx and scanned my computer for viruses, but still no luck.

Thanks for any help!

2. McTimson

McTimson

What operating system are you running now, and what games are you trying to get to run? If they're older, DOS-based games, it can be very annoying to get them to work, but if they're windows-based, they should work.

3. AlecL

AlecL Thread Starter

windows 98, and strange thing is everyone of these games has worked in the past. one thought that i hav is that too much is running in the backround and taking up so much ram (i only have 128, its an old pc) that the games can't run anymore.

isn't there some thing i can type in the run button (start menu) that'll allow me to permanently close programs that usually start up on their own so that they don't come back?

thanks.

4. Swiper

Swiper

Start
    RUN
    type in MSCONFIG Press OK or hit ENTER
    Click on STARTUP tab
    Uncheck anyting you do not wish to start up at startup.

LEAVE LOADPOWERPROFILER checked or your computer will not shut down properly all the time.

GOOD LUCK!!!

5. AlecL

AlecL Thread Starter

i guess my hard drive had errors or something on it, because after i checked it for errors my games worked again.
    thanks for your help!

6. JustinSpa

JustinSpa

So what exactly did you do? I've been having the same problems.

7. michael_jii

michael_jii

probably ran a scandisk and checked "fix errors automaticly" and also did a thorough scan.
    systemtools-scandisk

8. RSM123

RSM123

9. AlecL

AlecL Thread Starter

i just went into safe mode and scanned my hard drive for errors and then defragmented it

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice