Games dont play on my 64 bit PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamie078

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new PC. It is an absolute beast of a machine, but i'm having problems with it just now.

I'm trying to play some of the high standard games (ie. Half-Life2, Doom3, MoH:pA) to see how good it really is and the game starts sticking and starting after 15 seconds then 10 secs later it sticks again.

The computer is a XPC SN95G5 (Cubix). The spec is:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
2.21GHz
1.00GB of Ram
GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

So it should play these games without a problem.
I downloaded the 64 bit Version of Far Cry from the Ubisoft Website(The original version I have sticks too) and when I try to install it I get a message saying "This is an AMD64 exclusive 64 bit setup". I have a 64 bit PC.

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated. I will also donate very soon.

You have to be running the 64bit version of Windows XP to run 64bit programs.

what do you mean by "sticking"?
it just gets laggy? does it crash, and is there an error message?

I also have problems with games.. hl2 is laggy, the original empire earth is... unplayably bad. Far Cry 32 did not work on my PC, but upgrading to 64bit FC worked fine. Did you download both patches, and install the wrong one first? I only used the base upgrade, not the ECU patch. Also, check your drivers are good. Visit planet AMD64 for good sites: I am currently using 64bit drivers... version 7.6.80, I think.

Far Cry rules, btw :D

jamie078

in3rt!a said:
what do you mean by "sticking"?
it just gets laggy? does it crash, and is there an error message?
Yes in3rt!a, It is laggy. But it's really bad. I takes a couple of minutes for me to quit the game as the mouse sticks and I need to wait about 10 seconds or so to be able to move the mouse pointer and I can only move it for a second before it sticks again.

What happened is:
My workmate got the PC on 2 month trial and decided at the end of the 2 months that he couldn't afford it so he asked me if i wanted to take it. It was £1200 and I got it reduced to £800 because it was now second hand. I asked for a week trial to decide if I want it or not. When I brought it home I switched it on and I got the Windows screen when booting but then the screen went blank. I eventually re-installed Windows XP but I didn't have Win XP 64 bit version so I used a Win XP Pro version I have for my old PC. When I rebooted after installation I noticed that during reboot I am given 2 options,

1: Windows XP Professional
2: Windows XP Media Center Edition.

The 1st option is the one that was booting up by default and thats where the screen was staying blank. But when I chose the 2nd option it came on without a problem. When I told my workmate he told me he had connected the pc up to a secondary monitor (His TV) so when I was rebooting, it was looking for a secondary monitor and thats why the screen was going blank. So now I have a 64 bit PC with 32 bit version of windows installed. I'm waiting to receive the Windows discs and stuff from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the help evryone. I recommend this site to everyone I know. I've always had my problems sorted, usually without even having to start my own thread. (y)

well wait sorry to but in but i have an AMD athlon 64 bit 3200+, and i have 32-bit windows xp pro, i SHOULD be able to play all the latest games right? or would my cpu being 64bit not work with the 32-bit games?

64 bit processors do not need a 64bit version of Windows, unless you a trying to play a 64bit version of software. Then you will not only need the 64bit Windows but all appropriate drivers for you system.

You should not have a problem playing the the 32 bit version of the mentioned games. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your motherboard, video and audio cards, your power supply is adequate and you are not overheating.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online