1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games for windows vista vs 7 vs xp?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Allicia_T, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

I've been perusing computer puzzle games online to purchase (Amazon). I've noticed they will say windows 7, vista, xp, windows 2000, 98, or any combo of these next to game/cd name. Many say Vista/XP, but not 7, and vice versa. Does this mean that if XP is required, it will not work with Vista or 7? Or if it says Vista/XP, it won't run on 7?
    Just don't to waste money on games that it turns out can't be run on Vista or windows 7.
    Thanks.
    :)

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Typically, if the specs say Vista/XP it will run on Windows 7, but the game was created before Windows 7 came out. There is no guarantee. You could use http://systemrequirementslab.com to check it, or Google the game, but, unless the specifically state your operating system, there is no guarantee.

3. geek-assist

geek-assist

hi don't worry, even if the game is not compatible with windows 7, you will get an option called as windows compatibility when you try to install it. so you don't need to worry about wasting your money

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's not entirely true. Compatibility Mode doesn't always work. Be careful making blanket statements like that.

The answer really is it depends. Some games will work, some won't. You won't know until you buy it and try it, and then you can't return it. A lot of those ~$10 puzzle games were written in the 10+ years Windows XP dominated the market. Some were written well and work on newer operating systems. Some were written poorly and don't work on newer operating systems.

If you want to be certain, stick to the games that explicitly state they are supported on whatever operating system you plan to install them on.

5. geek-assist

geek-assist

my sincerest apologies, but in my experience, i haven't found a single game that has not worked with compatibility mode.
    thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice