1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games freezing after 15 - 20 minutes

Discussion in 'Games' started by Hyperionc, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hyperionc

Hyperionc Thread Starter

I recently build a brand new pc that has a problem with every game I play on it
    after a few minutes games start lagging and some of them freezes completely.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly be appreciated, this is not a heat problem
    I already checked that and loaded the latest drivers, machine specs below.

G-Force 8600GTS
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3500
    1GIG Corsair Memory

Please HELP:(

2. lag1tup

lag1tup

is this all games, or just certain ones? Which OS are you running? What is your mobo? The first thought that this problem brings to mind is how when running a new lucasarts game you have to update your video drivers for it to work, if I were you I would grab the most recent drivers for your 8600 from www.nvidia.com (make sure you uninstall the old ones first) Also do you have any audio hardware or is it MB intergrated?
    -lag1tup

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

what game are you trying to play?

4. Hyperionc

Hyperionc Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply

Im running windows XP pro, it happens with all games I try to play Rugby 2008, HL2,
    Star Wars k.o.t.o.r. , Supreme Commander, Rugby 2007.

I will try and update the drivers again, but what is very strange is that when I use
    3Dmark06 it runs smoothly.

Some games take longer than others to freeze up or start lagging Star Wars k.o.t.o.r
    freezes the quickest.

yes I do use onboard sound, here is my motherboard specs
    GIGABYTE® AMD R690V Chipset - Socket AM2 @ FSB1000 - For AMD AthlonTM 64 FX/ 64 X2 / 64 Processor

5. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

I would suggust you to check the temperature for the video card. It could be the dusts flying around the hardware. Try to use like a spray to blow the dusts off. It happens to all the computers like mine.

6. Hyperionc

Hyperionc Thread Starter

It doesn't seem to be heat related I tried games with another 3D card a 7300GT

7. lag1tup

lag1tup

7300gt = not as much heat as an 8600gt. These are my suggestions:
    a. update your motherboard drivers (again, be careful)
    b. go into your bios and check the clock speeds on everything to the default, correct anything thats too high
    c. download ntune (i think thats the program) and check the temp on your graphics card under load, and also check the temperature of ur cpu under load using w/e tool gigabyte gives you (track down the max suitable operating temperatures for all of the hardware you can get the temp on)
    d. make sure you have the most recent service pack + other updates for xp
    e. make sure you have the most recent version of direct x
    f. scan for malware, rootkits, viri, spyware, etc
    g. defrag using a seperate program (iobit works rather nicely imo)
    h. pray that one of these works for you because if they dont my reccomendation is reinstall xp
    -lag1tup

8. Hyperionc

Hyperionc Thread Starter

Thanks

I tried a couple things but now the games seem to go in a fast forward mode after a while
    what is strange is that I installed XP fresh its a brand new machine and it does this

maybe perhaps a faulty mboard?

9. lag1tup

lag1tup

well, feel free to replace ur hardware at random and hope it starts to work (i volunteer not to pay for the shipping tho...), however because it windows itself is not crashing, imo that rules out a hardware failure. Another idea is that since you said things work great on a 7300, you might have installed the wrong drivers...(I might be wrong about this but I think that all the 8 series have seperate driver packages from the 7xxx and other nvidia cards...) Again I will stress that heat generated by the gpu could be the issue. Please check those clock speeds and temps, if you have not already. Also, crack open your case and take a look at how clean things look, if you dont have compressed air I have found that a vaccum's hose attachment works quite nicely. Also, what is the brand of your 8600? What is the brand/wattage/ratings on your psu?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice