1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games freezing my computer at random intervals

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dao Jones, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dao Jones

Dao Jones Thread Starter

Okay. Recently while playing City of Villains my computer just... shut down on me. Flat out died, no chance to reboot; wouldn't even power back up. Taking it to what passes for a "repair shop" here in Kuwait got me the answer that it was probably the motherboard. So I bought a new one (MSI Platinum 955ex, if memory serves), had them install and hook everything up, and went home.

Here's the problem. While playing games (so far confirmed on both City of Heroes/Villains, as well as Battlefield 2) my computer will randomly seize up on me, forcing a restart. Sometimes it'll occur within minutes, sometimes half an hour, and once or twice not at all (at least, not within the two hours or so I played). I haven't seen this occur outside of gaming (although I am also getting periodic start-up crashes - I think that's yet *another* post subject), and it's only been an issue since I got this new motherboard last Wednesday.

I pulled apart my computer and checked the wiring. I rehooked up power cabling to make sure that nothing power-hungry was sharing one line, and everything was plugged in correctly. I reinstalled Windows XP (restore, not system wipe), and made sure nothing was wonky in my BIOS settings. I updated my graphics driver. I ran virus, adware and spyware checks (Norton, AdAware and Spybot, respectively). So my fear is that when my system croaked, it may have damaged more than just my motherboard. But I'm not sure what basic steps I can take to isolate my problem, other than what I did above.

Here are my system specs, as best I can remember them:

MSI Platinum 955ex motherboard
    Intel 3.4Ghz P4, with 2gb RAM
    MSI nVidia 6800 Ultra 256mb graphics card
    Thermaltake 600w power supply
    120GB SATA HD (Western Digital, I think)
    Some DVD burner - LG, I think
    Internal card reader and firewire port hooked up
    Four additional fans kicking air throughout the case

Two other elements that may be effecting/suggesting the problem: one, as mentioned, I'm getting start-up failures/crashes. Once it even mentioned my flash memory (I believe it deleted/reinitialized it?). It doesn't crash in a consistent place, and it only occurs about 40% of the time, maybe less. Second issue: since the new motherboard install, my sound in CoX has been really weird. Some elements of attacks don't play at all, while others seem unduly loud. (For example, I won't hear the swing of a punch, but I'll hear if it connects.) I updated my sound drivers, and the problem still occurs. However, I'm not seeing this problem anywhere else, in other games or when playing music/movies. I suspect I need to reinstall CoX itself, but I figured it was worth a mention.

Thanks in advance. You guys are lifesavers. In Kuwait, "tech support" usually means "making friends with someone who knows computers". Unfortunately, the most computer savvy person in my department is me. Scary world.

2. silvershield

silvershield

Almost sounds lke a RAM problem...Try removing one stick at a time and see if that fixes it...Also make sure you diddn't mismatch two speeds of RAM.

3. Dao Jones

Dao Jones Thread Starter

This RAM is "pre-problem". I've never had a problem in the past with it, and both sticks are identical DDR2 1gb sticks (same speed and manufacturer). Still, I'll check them tonight to make sure one isn't dislodged or damaged. I'll also try the "remove a stick" trick, and see if that helps. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice